Ubuntu Hardy Heron - can't install Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by cheesy, Mar 22, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

2. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

Sort-of worked

I installed the tools from 6504, and they did install okay, but now none of the menus in Linux work. When I click on the Applications menu, it flashes down for a moment and then disappears, and I am unable to select anything because the menu isn't there long enough.

I am able to move the mouse cursor in and out of the Parallels window now, though, without having to use ctrl-alt to release the mouse, so the tools do seem to have installed properly.

3. John@Parallels

This is experimental build, and we tested 2 button mouse, I suppose you are using 3 or more

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

will shared / network folders be available with Ubuntu 8.*

Hugh W

5. John@Parallels

We are planning to implement this in Parallels Desktop ver 4, from begining or in on of the Parallels Desktop 4 updates

6. horo

horo Bit poster

Is there a rough timeline for Parallels 4? And will there be a grace period to upgrade for recent purchasers of Parallels 3?

7. John@Parallels

Late summer, I cannot say exactly, but I suppose yes, btw, you can test Parallels Server for 2 month now, Parallels Server format is compatible with Parallels Desktop ver 4

8. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

No, I have a two-button track ball. It's a Kensington Orbit.

9. John@Parallels

Yes, we found problems with that build, and we apologize for inconvenience
    Developers are working to transfer tools from Parallels Server to current Parallels Desktop version

10. mvanhorn

mvanhorn Junior Member

Which build should I be using?

11. John@Parallels

For now there is now build which supports Ubuntu 8.04

12. shavital

shavital Member

Current build 5608, which I am using, allows to run Ubuntu 8.04, but without Parallels Tools, and without Coherence. It is not comfortable, but at least Hardy Heron runs fine.

13. coopsp28

coopsp28 Bit poster

Hi, not sure if this thread is still active, but... here goes:

Build 5608
    OSX 10.4.11
    Guest OS = Slackware 12.1

Trying to install parallels tools (I want a resolution other than 14xx x 9xx, TOOOOO BIG)

Code:
    # sh parallels-tools.run
    Verifying archive integrity... All good.
    Uncompressing Parallels Tools for Linux.............................. (etc)
    You are about to start installing Parallels Tools. Save data and close allapplications to prevent data loss during possible X-Server restart.
    Continue ? [Yes/No]: Yes
    Found xorg version 1.4.0
    Installation for xorg 1.4 not found.
    bash-3.1#

Any help?

14. John@Parallels

Please wait Xorg 1.4 is still not supported

15. jeremyd123

jeremyd123 Bit poster

any workarounds?

I'm disappointed to see that Hardy is still not supported in Parallels. Should I be using Gusty (do parallels tools work in Gusty?) ?

Thanks..

-Jeremy

16. soonlar

soonlar Bit poster

I find this whole thing extremely disatisfying. Every release of Ubuntu since 7.04 has been nothing but problems with Parallels. I think I may venture over to the VMware fusion side and give it a try. I just don't have the patience for how rediculous it is that Parallels can't get their act together.

17. jtmeunier

jtmeunier Bit poster

Why can't the Parallels team seem to fix the Tools issue? This is becoming a horrible product that does not work the way it is advertised. Nothing but problems. Not everyone wants to just run Windows. Please fix the tools so that I don't have to go to VMWare or VirtualBox.

And I will not paying for a version 4 to get the tools to work. Tools should work in the version 3 line BEFORE you release version 4.

HOST = MAC OSX 10.5.4
    GUEST = Xubuntu 8.04
    Parallels = 5608

18. John@Parallels

We are exactly planning this

19. coopsp28

coopsp28 Bit poster

Thanks John@||

Thank you for your support John, and quick reply. This is great news and I can wait... unlike other people it seems.

20. radtrinidad

radtrinidad Bit poster

Bumpy bump bump... Do you have an approximate time for the release? Not being able to cut and paste and looking at my little itty bitty tiny screen is getting quite annoying.