Ubuntu 8?

Discussion in 'Linux Guest OS Discussion' started by Dario D., Jun 18, 2008.

1. Dario D.

Dario D. Junior Member

Hi all.

Has anyone been able to get Ubuntu 8 working somehow? (did a search, but no relevant results) I tried installing it, but I got some error about having an i686 CPU.

Also, is Ubuntu 8 support coming soon? (if so, does anyone know HOW soon?)

2. Dario D.

Dario D. Junior Member

[update: posted this after a bot posted spam as a reply above...]

Well, you know, MY favorite sauce is TABASCO, and I'm pretty sure it beats your WoW gold-selling sauce to the moon and back, because WoW is lame, your link-plastered post is lame, and the brains of whoever programmed you and wrote all that is lame. I feel like giving him my credit card information, just so he can buy an education, and get real.

"Many people start with a bottled sauce and doctor it up." LOL, nice... Makes me want to buy that WoW sauce.
    -

Uh, admins, I think we need some spam-bot prevention... On the other hand, that was a nice bump. ;)

So, no Ubuntu 8 on the near horizon, eh?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Already eliminated

4. spectre

spectre Parallels Team

Well, I can't disclosure any secrets of internal software development processes, but we have already talked to the community on the ongoing plans several times, and they haven't changed:
    1. Release Parallels Server for Mac - done.
    2. Release Bare-metal ,Windows and Linux Parallels Server versions - in progress, currently all of these products are Open Beta and you can freely participate in the testing process.
    3. Update Parallels Desktop and Workstation products with the new Parallels Server technologies and continue to develop all of these products using the unified base - also in progress.

So considering that Parallels Server already has Ubuntu 8.x support - it will also be delivered to other products. But you can start benefitting from it immediately and join the Open Beta for PS right now.

5. Dario D.

Dario D. Junior Member

Your WoW sauce is inferior to the majectic Tabasco.

6. Dario D.

Dario D. Junior Member

Hmm, okay... but now I'm confused: What's the difference between Parallels Workstation, Desktop, Server? My (brief) Google searches on each one seemed to want me to believe that they were all the same thing.

At the moment, I've got Workstation, with Windows Vista and Ubuntu 7 running nicely on it, but I'd also like to be able to take Ubuntu 8 for spin (if possible to do without wasting a great deal of time).

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Parallels Workstation - Linux, Windows version, and for now you can run VM until you can see Windows, no autostart upon Server start no integration into Enterprize level products
    Parallels Desktop - Mac OS version
    Parallels Server, integration into Enterprise level products like PIM (late 2008), autostart on server start, easy remote management
    Just brief overview

8. Dario D.

Dario D. Junior Member

Ahh, okay...

By the way, I think it might be worth considering perhaps one day merging the names of the apps to something like Parallels Desktop. You'd have Parallels Desktop for Windows, Parallels Desktop for Mac, and Parallels Desktop for Servers (or maybe Parallels Desktop Server - 'still unclear what the purpose of Server is though).

(I don't really like the name "Parallels Workstation", because it doesn't disclose much about the app's purpose... 'Sounds a bit vague)

The current naming scheme really makes it seem like each one is a completely different type of app.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008