What's New/What's Fixed in RC2 (comments)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, May 31, 2006.

1. kboggs

kboggs Bit poster

Trouble with shared folder...

I've never been able to get shared folders to work. I've just installed RC2 and ran Parallels Tools but when I try to access my shared folder I either get a Windows crash or freeze. I'm able to see the subfolders in my shared folder but trying to open any of them just crashes things. I'm using my Mac Home folder as my shared folder. Perhaps that's causing the problem? Any one else still having trouble?:confused:

2. hayes_philip

hayes_philip Junior Member

I'm downloading firefox now, see if that can handle the download better than Safari.

3. twynne

twynne Hunter

If you're having trouble with the download you have to watch for it to start failing (ie. downloaded amount stops increasing and avg. speed starts to decrease), then pause the download and resume it. It's a bit tedious but it does work! :)

4. hayes_philip

hayes_philip Junior Member

Ok, trying Firefox to download now, will also try twynne's suggestion.

5. dacarson

dacarson Junior Member

can't mount too

Same problem. Downloads fine, didn't see any speed change, and it failed to mount. Also going to try FF.

6. agrj

agrj Member

7. dacarson

dacarson Junior Member

FF not working for me either

Is there any other location to get RC2 than what is posted on the site? This is frustrating.

8. twynne

twynne Hunter

Just a suggestion to Parallels - why not host it as a torrent? Surely this would alleviate the download issues...

As for my earlier suggestion... you have to *really* watch the download. As soon as it looks like it may be stalling just pause it and then resume. You'll probably have to do this multiple times!

9. dacarson

dacarson Junior Member

With the careful watching and cancelling and resuming the download, I was able to download the image using Safari.

10. david

david Member

Full Screen Mode (almost as good as beta 6) :)

Congrats on RC2, it has definitely improved in performance. I have just one question however.

Why does the application I am using in my VM lose focus after I toggle into it via Virtue? When I return to my fullscreen VM the mouse and keyboard are captured (good) but it doesn't know what application I was working in when I "left"....or doesn't seem to. I have to reach for the mouse and re-focus it. (minor, but annoying detail)

Is there a reason for this or is it just an oversight? In beta 6 it worked intermittently in the "correct" way, or the way you'd expect. That is to say, if you were typing in a text area before you switched desktops, when you returned you could just continue typing.

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  11. luz

luz Member

What exactly is the interference with "Assistive Devices"?

First of all - RC2 is great! All (well, most, see below) of the UI/keyboard/focus issues are now elegantly solved, thanks a lot! And screen resolution change is much smoother now! And.. and.. :) :) :)

Thanks for the hint that this interferes with Parallels.

However, I used to have Textpander (auto-completion tool) active, which in turn needs Assistive Devices enabled. So I can't use Textpander any longer.

I noticed that interference of Assistive Devices with Parallels is something new - there was no such problem in Beta 6. I've been using Beta 6 + Assistive on + Textpander for about two weeks.

With RC2, it seems that Parallels grabs all of the keyboard when it first gets focus AND Assistive Devices on. I'm wondering what exactly is happening here and what actually makes the difference?

12. Jim

Jim Bit poster

Everything on RC2 looks great on first impression.

The click and hold to get a right click action is actually very nice. I like it a lot!

I am happy that full screen mode will not switch to windowed mode when losing focus.

Command + G in full screen mode still makes the screen go black - It thinks that it is switching to the Property Page view, but it cannot. This is still a UI problem that should be addressed before the final version.

Also when I connect a USB Hard Drive, it still says it woukld be faster if connected to a USB 2 hub. Hopefully you will be able to enable USB 2.0 suppport on the MBP.

Thanks for the good work!

13. elventear

elventear Bit poster

I zapped everything with Appzapper. Reinstalled, crashed, zapped again, rebooted, reinstalled crashed. So far I am not even able to get into the application.

If it's of interest: Working on a 2.0 GHz Mackbook Pro with 2.0 GB of RAM.

14. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I don't think I have any complaints.

1. The networking is working again with my router. No need to plug in static ips
    2. It does seem quicker.
    3. I like the idea of integrating the image tool even if it increases the price. $79 seem reasonable.
    4. I see switching to full screen is smoother.

I'm sure at some point I will want the USB stuff to work well but for the time being I have no need to plug in external USB devices.

15. beg_ne

beg_ne Bit poster

So far so good overall, however my main issue is still around. Sending my voice through programs like Paltalk and Skype is still really bad. Receiving audio is fine un basically unusable to talk back to someone.

16. schmidp

schmidp Member

Hi,

I still have problems in RC2 with if I switch one core off. Parallels now says "unable to commicate with hypervisor". If I turn the second core back on, it still says that until I reboot.

Do you still plan to make Parallels work with only one core enabled on a core duo?

greets philipp

17. skrodahl

skrodahl Junior Member

Thank you!!!

This release is absolutely awsome as far as I can see.
    The speed improvements are fantastic, and all things behave as I expect them to do.

You've got yourselves another paying customer. :)

18. chenedwa

chenedwa Bit poster

success with HASP

RC1 failed to grab most USB devices. RC2 immediately recognized my HASP 4 USB device! Excellent!

19. Jmdor

Jmdor Member

Re: Success with Hasp:

I got my machine to recognize my hasp as well. Interestingly, when I pulled it, then inserted it later, I kept getting the XP error "This device cannot start (Code 10)". The fix is to uninstall the hasp through device manager, then reinstall through the add hardware wizard. Then the hasp is recognized again. I'm thinking this is still a minor bug (as this does not occur in a native windows environment nor did it occur under Virtual PC), but certainly much more welcome than no hasp at all!

Jeanne

20. DrewDS

DrewDS Bit poster

Bravo, bravo!!!

Sound works again, and now I can drag Mac OS Windows over top of Parallels in full screen mode!!

Bravo!