Timeframe?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ScottK, Apr 6, 2006.

1. ScottK

ScottK Junior Member

OK. So any planned timeframe for the final version? How long is the beta scheduled to last?

Moreover, when are those tools going to be available to modify the size of the partition??

2. sspooner

sspooner Bit poster

Me too.

I too would like to know when we can expect it out of BETA.
    A 30 day key is great, but if this bombs out before I can actually buy I key It'll be a pain.
    I'm ready to buy a key right now, It runs what I need and seems stable.
    Sign me up guys !

3. ScottK

ScottK Junior Member

Bump

Bumpitty-Bump.

4. vamp07

vamp07 Member

I have evaluated enough. It needs some trimming around the edges but I'm ready to give you guys some money.

5. ScottK

ScottK Junior Member

Bumpity-bump.

I'd like an answer from someone official at Parallels...

6. nick083

nick083 Member

GA timeframe and trial keys validity

Dear Parallels Users,

We appreciate your interest and are committed to making our Parallels Workstation for Mac OS X a spectacular product. We are taking into account all of your messages and requests to create a solution that is a pleasure to use. Please keep your feedback coming and we will work hard to deliver a fast, stable, attractive and easy to use product that meets your needs.

To thank you for your overwhelming support of our new Parallels Workstation for Mac OS X we invite you to pre-order your copy TODAY for $39.99 and save $10. We will send out your permanent keys once our General Release version goes live.

To ensure you can use the Beta version without interruption, we will provide extended trial keys that will allow you to access the product until the official launch.

On behalf of the entire Parallels company, I would like to personally thank you for your support and feedback to help us make Parallels Workstation for Mac OS X a product that we can all be proud of.

My best regards,
    Nick

7. anshar

anshar Member

I hope GA comes before expiration of the first beta keys :D

8. ScottK

ScottK Junior Member

Nick,

Thanks for the response! My only question remains -- what is the timeframe for the first non-beta version of the product? A Week? A Month? Three Months? Next Year? Next Millenium?

Ballpark is fine with me.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  9. nick083

nick083 Member

GA timeframe

Scott,

Believe me that we're on the same wave. We have the same intention to do it ASAP. But I want to emphasize that the main thing for us at the moment is to build a fast, stable and QUALITY product. And it is in your (as a user) interest that we give some time to other users to do testing and our engineering team to fix/improve the reported things.

I can assure you that we work 24x7 to deliver a good and quality product as soon as possible. We fixed a couple of serious reported bugs in a day and updated all of you with a more stable version. Saturday night - we're still at the office. We're committed to move quickly.

So, I neither want to state any exact date here nor guess will it be next week, month, three months, year or Millenium. But you may be sure - once our QA decides that we're ready to go the next hour you'll see the final version live on the site.

For now you can prepare your virtual machines, have them running and be sure that no interruption will be even in case Beta lasts more that 30 days.

My best regards,
    Nick

10. ScottK

ScottK Junior Member

OK, OK. I hear ya.

I'm a small developer and certainly can understand your reluctance. Especially when you might hit some big-time stopper that takes time to get around. Good job standing up to the pressure--seriously, the intiial product is awesome and you now find yourself facing them asses (er, "the masses". Sorry.) and standing on the bleeding edge. I wish you guys luck I'll offer my support in the form of a pre-order.

For now, I'll glean what I can from the phrase "... even in case Beta lasts more than 30 days."

11. mike3k

mike3k Member

This is a great product and I'm looking forward to GA. I'd really like to see USB (mostly for storage devices) & sound, since a lot of the Windows software I want to run uses one or the other.

So far it's worked great with a VPN connection so I can access my company's remote Exchange server and our QA database application.

12. mcornes

mcornes Junior Member

Cisco VPN in a VM from MacOS X

Has anyone been brave enough to attempt this convoluted method. Will it work ? I'm relucatant to try it incase it hoses my windows install.

After that I want to say how amazingly impressed I am with your software, the speed of devleopment etc. I have about 5 days left on my beta and was dubious about the response time of the VM running XP once running, however I have since become enlightened and descoverd the parallels extra tools, the mouse syncer etc, and I've got to say I am even more impressed. In fact I am going to lobby my boss tomorrow to buy me a license, despite the fact that I begged for a mac in the first place since I love them - I've gotta have access for some of our report generation and development.

One extra thing from other users, has anyone noticed a decrease in stability from Mac OS X since installing this software. It's just my colleague with an old iBook regularly gets 30+ days uptime withour reboot where as I struggle to go more than a week, any links to parallels ?

13. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

Mcornes...

I think the intel version of OS X is just slightly less stable. I generally reboot everyday. Not because I have to but just to keep "odd" things from happening. I don't think there is any link to parallels.

14. The tool is part of the Beta 6 distribution. Try upgrading.