Is there a way to disable Bridged Networking

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ehamburg, Jul 1, 2008.

1. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

I only use shared networking and I run in to problems sometimes when, inexplicably, my XP VM configuration switches into Bridged mode. This caused the the network port at my company's office to block the port as there are two IPs trying to access the network at the same time. I then have to have IT call the central network admins to unblock the port. Since I never want to use Bridged, is there away that I configure the VM so that Bridged is never available to switch into?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What build are you using?

3. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

Os X 10.5.4.

4. RichB

RichB Junior Member

Bridged = Host-Guest = Host Only!

In System Preferences under Network select the item "Parallels Host-Guest" and then from the gear menu below select "Make Service Inactive." Leave the item "Parallels NAT" active for shared networking.

There's also a Preference in Parallels under Network, Show: Host Only Networking to uncheck the DHCP scope but I don't think that has the desired effect you are looking for.

5. John@Parallels

RichB, you are trying to disable service, I am not sure it is good idea,
    ehamburg
    Can you please recall situation when it usually switched back

6. RichB

RichB Junior Member

I have been running it that way for many months and it is the only reliable way to shut off the unused network interface.

7. ehamburg

ehamburg Member

This is the situation:

I am at the office using shared networking and come home and use my home network. I have found a couple of times over the past few weeks that when trying to use Outlook in the VM Outlook shows that it is "disconnected". To try to resolve I go to the Devices menu and select Network Adapter 1. I see that Connect is checked as is Shared Networking but no adapter (selections are Default en0 and en1) is selected. I then select Default Adapter and connectivity is restored. When I go back to look at Devices, Networking, Connect and Default Adapter are checked (and grayed out), Host-only is grayed out and Shared Networking is enabled (not grayed out) but NOT checked. When I return to my office I may or not have a problem with connecting to Outlook, but on a few occasions, the VM has switched to Host-only.

BTW I did try RichB's suggestion (I am now at home), but I could not get connectivity in the VM.

Thanks

8. John@Parallels

Well, please try following solution
    When you back at home do not switch adapter
    in Windows -Start-run cmd
    ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew