How do you increase the virtual disk size?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ActionJinSanDiego, Jun 16, 2008.

1. ActionJinSanDiego

ActionJinSanDiego Bit poster

As I install Windows updates and other miscellaneous software, I have now run out of space with my Windows virtual disk. How do I increase the size of this disk? Or do I need to upgrade to Parallels Desktop Premium edition to do this? Is there any documentation on this that I can follow up on? Any direction is appreciated. Thanks! Kevin

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You have several choices, 2 are he main
    1. You can expand disk size using Parallels Image Tools
    2. You can add new hdd and copy some data there, this is more flexible solution as you can keep your data separately from OS, and can use with another Vm, when another is stopped

For more information please see

Parallels Image Tools user guide
    and how to add new HDD in Parallels Desktop for Mac user guide from http://www.parallels.com/en/download/file/doc/Parallels_Desktop_for_Mac_User_Guide.pdf on page 191

and how to create partition http://support.microsoft.com/kb/309000

3. TAHARVEY

TAHARVEY Junior Member

I tried this. Image Tools worked for a hour, and finished. But I booted parallels, and no increase in the drive size in windows xp. What do I need to do!?!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You expanded the disk size, now you need to expand the filesystem to use all the disk from within the guest OS.

If open disk management in Windows you'll see some unused free space.

5. TAHARVEY

TAHARVEY Junior Member

I see its there. But I can't merge it into the C: partition. Useless.

6. John@Parallels

7. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

This is a variation on the theme - is there any way I can REDUCE the size of my virtual disk. I originally opted for the 32 Gb option, but now having had the XP Pro in a VM for a couple of months, I now find I really don't need that much space and would like to reduce it to about 20 Gb.

Can I do that and reclaim the space for OS X?

8. John@Parallels

Check , if you have unformatted partition, create partition and use Parallels Image Tools

Backup your VM first

9. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

Sorry John but I don't understand the first bit 'check unformatted partition'. I don't have any partition as such for XP, it's just a VM.

Are you asking if I have enough space to make another VM (yes I have), then import the 'business' bit of my existing WinXP.hdd using Parallel's Tools?

I have my MBP 200 Gb drive split (a windows habit) with a 11 Gb partition for my 'own' files. I have more than enough space to create another VM, then I can delete the 'old' XP VM.

Sorry if I appear a bit thick but I am SO happy with my VM and don't want to risk mucking it up. I would LIKE to recover the unused XP VM space, but it's certainly not a complaint - a 'want' rather than a 'need'.

Fabulous software and I'm very happy with it.

10. brianwmay

brianwmay Member

It's OK, I've read through other threads where this sort of question is addressed. I shall plough through them and if no joy, will re-post.

Thanks anyway.