Activation Key doesn't work?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Goldie, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Goldie

Goldie Bit poster

I haven`t updated to Parallels 3.0 for a really long time and now, trying to register the new version, it says that the Activation Key I have can`t be used with the new version. The License on the old version says `Active` I think but when I try using the Activation Key for Version 3.0 it doesn`t work? Can I be issued with a new key?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you used version 3xxx it is 2.5, any Parallels Desktop version 3.x starting with build 4xxx.
    If your version fits in this create ticket to support and they will reply with key

3. Goldie

Goldie Bit poster

OK, I created a ticket... how long should it be before I receive a reply?

4. ziba

ziba Member

Hi,

Generally if you upgraded to 3.0 from 2.5 then upon registration you should first enter activation code for 3.0 and then activation code for 2.5. Also make sure not to mix letter O and number 0, letter I and number 1.

5. Goldie

Goldie Bit poster

OK, now I'm confused... I have to buy an Activation Key for Parallels 3.0? I thought if I purchased it once then I would be good for all future releases?

6. ziba

ziba Member

this is not actually correct. Updates to major releases are not free. See the following article for details:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/4968

Parallels Desktop 3.0 is a major upgrade for Parallels Desktop and it will work with the new 3.0 activation key that comes as a separate purchase, either full version or upgrade version which is available for the owners of the previous Parallels Desktop versions.

7. Goldie

Goldie Bit poster

OK, now I understand. Thank you!

8. Tams

Tams Bit poster

Can Parallels Desktop 2.0 be upgraded?

We currently have a (1) free activation key for Parallels Desktop for Mac 2.0 purchased last 18 May 2007 through a promo (2 licenses for 130 USD). When I tried to install the app on a MacBook Pro running on OS x Leopard, I experienced some difficulties. I tried to use our activation key on Parallels Desktop 3.0 it still doesn't work. How can we utilize our the license? Do we have some kind of free/paid upgrade option so that we can still reap the benefits of our purchase? I'm planning to activate it on either a MacBook or a MacBook Pro running on OS X Leopard. Thanks.