RC2 fullscreen oddity

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by HalJason, May 31, 2006.

1. HalJason

HalJason Bit poster

I started using Parallels Desktop in the last beta before RC, and I don't recall this happening then or not, but none the less.

Now that full screen parallels guest and Virtue work well together again, I notice some strange
    behavior. If I swap desktops from a full screen parallels (win2k guest) desktop to a desktop with
    no windows on it, I don't get my dock (bottom placement) nor the menubar on top of the screen.

They come back if I click on the background, but aren't there initially. If instead of swapping to a
    desktop with zero windows, I swap over to a desktop with a window on it, this doesn't happen.

Also, if instead of clicking on the background I swap to yet another desktop that does have a
    window, they come back as well.

Not a showstopper by any means, but something I noticed, so I'm passing it along.

2. mcg

mcg Hunter

You know, that just happened to me too. Funny! Not fatal, but funny. I wonder if it is Virtue or Parallels doing that.

3. skrodahl

skrodahl Junior Member

Happens to me too.
    The work-around is very easy though. Just click the desktop.

4. mithras

mithras Junior Member

I'm pretty sure that's a Virtue behavior. Virtue switches you to the frontmost app on a desktop if there is one. If there isn't, the previous app stays foremost.

(You can try this with another app, such as Mail. Go to Mail, then switch to a desktop that has no windows on it. Note that Mail stays in the menubar. Try it again, switching to a desktop with another window, and that window's app takes the menubar.)

So when Parallels retains control of the menubar, its setting to not show the menubar or the Dock stays in effect.

I'd say this is basically correct behavior, if surprising.

5. schmidp

schmidp Member

I have the same problem.

Maybe Parallels could add another checkbox in the preferences with something like "Hide Dock and Menubar on going Fullscreen?"?

I think betas before rc1 didn't hide the dock and the menubar and I think it was somehow more smooth.

greets philipp

6. HalJason

HalJason Bit poster

If this is the case (sounds reasonable to me), I agree, it's probably correct behavior. I'd prefer this, than parallels not hiding the dock and menubar.