Avoid using Macintosh 3.0 Parallels build 5604

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by shavital, Jul 7, 2008.

1. shavital

shavital Member

When already running build 5608 (without Parallels Tools, that couldn't be installed), I was careless enough to follow instructions from a person from Parallels/Support, and try Build 5604 to solve the Parallels Tools issue. It did solve the Parallels Tools issue, that got installed, but the whole Ubuntu 8.04 that I had succeeded to build and run smoothly, albeit without Parallels Tools went to h...: the short version is that nothing, absolutely nothing worked any more, I couldn't launch most applications, and the few ones I could launch didn't do what they are supposed to do. I uninstalled Parallels Tools, and went back to build 5608. I could repair some of the damage, but it is still NOT the 8.04 I was running before the 5604 adventure.
    Lesson, as old as creation itself: "If it ain't broken, don't fix it".
    I am hoping and waiting for a Parallels build that will fully, but I mean fully support Ubuntu 8.04, including Coherence. I run Windows XP Professional SP3 under build 5608, it works perfectly, and I expect Parallels will release a build that will enable user to run Ubuntu 8.04, as well as Windows, before "Parallels 4.0", which will probably be a paying upgrade.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can uninstall Parallels Tools if something got broken

3. shavital

shavital Member

I cannot uninstall Parallels Tools under build 5608, because that build does not support Parallels tools for Ubuntu 8.04. Maybe I wasn't clear enough, I repeat: after downgrading from 5608 to 5604 (following instructions from a Parallels/Support perso, I installed Parallels Tools, but the whole Ubuntu 8.04 that resulted was a total mess. I uninstalled Parallels Tools, and went back to build 5608. This didn't restore Ubuntu 8.04 to its previous state. The point is: do NOT use build 5604. It doesn't even show now in the list of available builds. There's a reason for that. I don't blame the Parallels Support person for having given me bad advice, I blame myself for having followed that advice, without having previously backed up. I repeat: do NOT use build 5604.

4. John@Parallels

Thanks, actually build 5604 is unofficial, and it is not figuring out in updates

5. shavital

shavital Member

That's exactly what I wrote in my post. This adds to the incongruity of having such a build recommended by a Parallels Support person, whom I don't blame. I prefer to blame myself. I shall be much, but much more cautious with the next build.

6. John@Parallels

We are sorry, for case, but usually it shouldn't mess the system, maybe I can provide xorg.conf and this will allow to continue normal?

xorg.conf is before installing parallels tools

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    Option "XkbVariant" "intl"
    Option "XkbOptions" "lv3:ralt_switch"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    EndSection

7. shavital

shavital Member

Thanks, I'll have to try and see what comes out of it. What is the path to xorg.conf, because I need to look into its contents, and understand how to proceed. Since I upgraded I have updated it regularly from the software sources, and I remember there were many updates that referred to xorg. Thanks for your assistance.

8. John@Parallels

/etc/X11/xorg.conf

9. shavital

shavital Member

John, I have just booted into Ubuntu 8.04 (Running under Parallels 3.0 buld 5608, and here's the copy of what my xorg.conf file contains. I shall appreciate and thank you for your comments:

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
    #
    # This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
    # values from the debconf database.
    #
    # Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
    # (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
    #
    # This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
    # if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
    # package.
    #
    # If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
    # again, run the following command:
    # sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver "kbd"
    Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
    Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option "XkbLayout" "us"
    EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "Configured Mouse"
    Driver "mouse"
    Option "CorePointer"
    Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
    EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier "Default Layout"
    Screen "Default Screen"
    EndSection

10. shavital

shavital Member

John, In a separate post, I have copied the contents of my xorg.conf file, thanks for the pointer. I must have done something right, because now, after I booted in Ubuntu 8.04, (knock on wood), everything is back, working fine as it did before I tested build 5604. I'm so happy :) I'm not going to try to change anything. I shall wait for your response to my query about the contents of my xorg.conf file.
    Charly