experimental directX shaders: possible to disable on application basis?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by alkalifly, Jul 8, 2008.

1. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

I have an XP Parallels VM that I use exclusively for playing games, nearly all of which require DirectX support, so naturally I have the "experimental DirectX shaders" checkbox enabled.

However, one particular game (happens to be GTA3) will not work with this option enabled (all of the text appears as boxes), but works just fine if the experimental shaders box is UN-checked. So if I want to play that game, I have to shut down the VM, disable the option, and reboot. This is pretty easy, and doesn't take long, so it isn't that big of a deal, but it would be nice if I didn't have to restart the VM.

Is there any way to disable the DirectX support for particular applications? I know it would be something I would have to do in windows itself, not in the Parallels app, but I don't know what that is and don't really know of any windows-centric forum where I could ask.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Do you mean that unchecking DirectX Shaders experimental doesn't save state?

3. alkalifly

alkalifly Hunter

Thank you, John, for your fast reply. The state of the check box is saved just fine, that is not the problem. The problem is that the experimental shaders wreak havoc with this one particular game. I have already found a good solution, which is to shut down the VM, check/uncheck the box, and boot it back up. I am just looking to see if there is an even better solution, in which I could save myself having to reboot the VM by launching this particular game with the experimental shaders temporarily disabled.

I have already tried right clicking the exe for the application, selecting properties, and messing around with the settings on then the "Compatibility" tab, but every combination I have tried either does not fix the shader problem or else causes the game not to launch at all.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I think explanation below will help:
    1. Directx Shaders supports only basic Direct X API,
    2. Any game which use extended Directx9 function can fail
    3. As another way we allowed to disable DirectX and OpenGL is running in this case, what is happening in this case.

Unfortunately , you need to restart VM, to allow either OpenGL or DirectX