Visual Studio 2005/2008 LNK1104 Simple Compile Error ?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by rssmsvc, Jul 8, 2008.

1. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Bit poster

Hello,

Has anyone found a fix or solution

Steps to Recreate:
    (1) Install Either Visual Studio 2005/2008
    (2) Open VS , Create a console samplication from the project wizard
    (3) Turn off PreCompiled Header (makes no difference but I hate them)
    (4) !! Go to Project->Properties->C/C++->PreProcessor->Generate PreProcessed File
    to any "on" format

Compile, LNK1104 \.Debug\ errors appear.

Doesn't matter if local or network drive. What is weird this works fine everywhere else and on VMWare and BootCamp.

I pretty much have my dream machine if I can use my favorite compiler in OSX so any tips are much appreciated.

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Make sure your home folder is not shared between the mac and the virtual machine.

VS has quite a lot of problems if you home directory is being accessed thru a shared drive.

3. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Bit poster

Maybe I misunderstand you , but I created an actual 40GB drive not an expanding one and create the project local to the XP Pro Installation so the C:\ drive.

Is the home directory you are referring to as the Macintosh HD or the C:\ Drive from within the virtual XP ?

It took me a while to find more info but there are 2 biggies, for some reason the compiler is coming up with some very, very strange file path that doesn't exist.

Borland Builder Works Fine, JBuilder Works Fine, Flex Builder blows up.

C:\DD\.... nothing even close on any machine it works on. I am thinking there is an environment variable or maybe some sort of internal check that is failing.

I tried it 2 ways and both failed:

(1) Local C Drive as far as in XP. I am not explaining this well, I mean the physical Virtual drive. I would think

(2) Local Drive Mapped to a Network Drive (So , I have a PowerMac with the last physical drive actually housing my source code. I could not find a simple way to refer to it so I mapped it to a drive letter in Windows Explorer to a specific drive letter)

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

fbronner means , do you have shared profile enabled?

5. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Bit poster

Hello,

I apologize for not understanding. I am not sure what "shared profile" is but if you are referring to Parallels->Configuration Editor->Shared Applications->

I have Share Windows Applications to Mac off,
    Enable SmartSelect Off
    Show in Dock On
    Share Mac Applications to Windows off

In Parallels->Devices->Shared Folders->I am sharing one drive

? What drive is considered the 'home drive' ?

This is really , really odd. Parallels does wonderfully on just about every development tool and where this going wrong I have not found yet. I have no idea where this "dd" folder is that MSVC exists. It has to be something wrong with the environment variables.

6. John@Parallels

Can you please check Configuration Editor-Shared Profile (click memory for example, than Shared profile)

7. rssmsvc

rssmsvc Bit poster

All turned off, and the main check box is off. Still get that error on the local C:\ drive (local to the XP Pro virtual Folder) you would think MSVC would just see this folder as a regular folder.

I did notice turning that on and off did effect how fast everything worked, turned off almost increased the performance by 1/3

8. John@Parallels

I need time to create test case, please wait, I hope I will finish ill Monday

9. John@Parallels