Multiple guest OS's ?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by gludwick, Jul 9, 2008.

1. gludwick

gludwick Junior Member

If I'm reading the manual correctly, I can have multiple VM's each with its own OS; For example, one running Vista and one using XP.
    I have Vista installed now and it is running fine. I have a cherry XP Media Center 2005 OS that's never been installed/registered.
    I just want to confirm that I can create a 2nd VM with the XP without messing anything up on the Vista version.
    I'll probably run both for awhile, just for fun and comparison purposes and eventually uninstall one or the other.
    Any pitfalls to watch out for, or any thing special I should do in creating the 2nd VM?
    This is Parallels 3.0, 5608 BTW

Thanks for any advice.

Gary

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

No problem, in any question, you can install as many OSes as your memory and HDD allows

3. ADAXL

ADAXL Junior Member

Hi, gludwick!
    You can have as many VMs as you want, but remembers that every virtual machine needs real resources (RAM, processor power, disk space). Many modern OSes require at least 512-1024MB of RAM, and this means real RAM from your Mac.
    I personally have Windows XP, Windows Vista and one or another Linux, but I run only one at a time.

4. gludwick

gludwick Junior Member

Thanks guys. Yes, I only planned to run one at a time, but I do have a 4gb memory imac with a 320HD and a 500external hd.
    Which brings up another thought. Is it safe to assume I could install the 2nd VM on the external HD? Right now its only job is keeping time machine back up files.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven