XP is the problem with USB

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by n4khq, May 9, 2006.

1. n4khq

n4khq Member

I have Garmin Map Source working great with XP after 2 days blaming Parallels. Let me explain:
    Installed Map Source from 2 month old CD. It said it was installing USB Driver.
    Could not see etrex vista cx,
    Tried to install on Dell laptop and had same problem.
    Remember there was an update on the web.
    Down loaded update on the the VM.
    Still could not see etrex.
    Selected and right click My Computer
    Selected properties.
    Selected hardware
    Clicked Device Manager
    Found the Garmin etrex usp in the list with the yellow icon.
    Right clicked and selected properties
    Clicked drivers
    Un-Installed
    From Device Manager selected Action
    Scan for hardware changes
    Guess what plug and play found the device.
    Next I have to tell the wizard I want to point to the driver.
    I have to browse to the garmin driver folder.
    Tell xp to install the driver.
    The only reason I keep trying was I had installed on a Dell laptop a couple of months ago and had to go through the same procedure.

2. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Bit poster

n4khp,

You seem to have luck on your side as I think you're the only one in the forum to get this to work.

I tried manually installing the drivers multiple times. The OS recognizes my Garmin GPS (it shows up in the Device Manger control panel), but I can't get Map Source to communicate with it. Are there any other tricks you can share with us, or something you've installed that maybe we haven't?

I'm running this on a new dual-core Intel Mini (10.4.6). Do you notice the GPS showing up in the Mac OS ("USB Bus -> Vendor Specific" in System Profiler)?

I'm leaving for Vancouver in 2 hours and I had wanted to upload maps to my GPS. Normally I use my bro's old iMac (running VPC 6 under OS9) but he's away this weekend and I'm SOL.

Gord

3. n4khq

n4khq Member

Gord,

There might be one thing. When I tried to install on a Dell laptop, MapSource would not see the new etrex vista cx. I called support and they had me to download an updated version of MapSource. Still did not work and I went through the procedure described above and it started working. The first thing I did on the MBP 2 GHz 2 GHz memory was download the latest version. The vista CX has 512 MB card and it took 45 minutes to load maps on a dell. Parallels uses USB 1.1 now and it seems as fast as the del but I only did a test upload so it don't really know the speed.

The only other think I can think of is the Vista cx only has a usb port. I was also able to get it to work under windows 98 on virtual PC but after 4 or 5 attempts I just gave up on VPC and XP on a G5.

4. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Bit poster

n4khq,
    Well, I updated the app with excitement, but MapSource still doesn't see the GPS, but the OS does. I'm using a Legend C which also only has the USB connection.

Gord

5. n4khq

n4khq Member

I just tested it again and it is work fine. I downloaded my waypoints to Mapsource and read the maps stored on the etrex. My etrex vista cx only has USB. Did you uninstall the driver after the update and reinstall?

6. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Bit poster

No, I didn't. They were the same version, so I didn't see the need to, but maybe I should give it a shot just to be sure.

Gord

7. blshaw45

blshaw45 Member

Tried, but failed

n4khq:

I followed your procedure to the letter, and everything worked just like you outlined, until the Plug and Play wizard found the Garmin folder (via browsing) and I clicked 'OK' in the 'Files Needed' dialog. I then got an error 'This device cannot start. (Code 10)'. That's why I love Windoze so much: the very helpful, informative error messages.

Any ideas what might be wrong?

Brian

8. n4khq

n4khq Member

Guys, I just uploaded and downloaded MapSource information and it worked perfect (eTrex Vista Cx) The only other think I can think of is I have MacGPS Pro installed on the MBP. This program will connect to the Garmin eTrex Vista Cx using OS X. Do you think the fact that OS X has a driver has anything to do with it working on my MBP RC1?

9. n4khq

n4khq Member

Garmin work on iMac

For a test I moved VM image to a new intel iMac. The Garmin eTrex Vista Cx worked just like it worked on the MBP. I think the key is downloading the latest version, uninstalling the driver and manually point to the driver in the Garmin folder.

10. sandrino

sandrino Bit poster

This is one of the reasons I got Parallels, I have not tried installing MapSource yet but I will now. I cannot wait to use my eTrex Vista Cx on my MacBook Pro. Hopefully I can navigate through the install and get Windows XP to recognize the GPS. I have installed it in a PC desktop and a latptop without too much trouble.

11. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Bit poster

I did that about 5 times, one time with a Garmin guy on the phone. It still didn't work for me, so I'm using Bootcamp. It's annoying to restart, but I didn't have any hassles with the drivers; it just worked.

I would prefer to use Parallels Desktop, but I'll use Bootcamp until Parallels can get the GPS support working for everyone.

Gord

12. sandrino

sandrino Bit poster

It installed OK

I got MapSource and City Select v.6 and the v.7 upgrade to install with no problems. I even got MapSource to recognize my eTrex Vista Cx. I didn't have to mess with the USB drivers or anything. However Parallels got extremely slow after the installation.