Switching Network Locations Hangs Parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by gkhairallah, Feb 6, 2008.

1. gkhairallah

gkhairallah Bit poster

Hello all, I couldn't find anything on the forums regarding the problem I've been seeing. I was hoping that someone may be able to help confirm this problem.

Ever since I started using parallels since the 2.x version, up until now, (running 3.0 Build 5584) , I've had a problem with switching network locations. During the time I've been experiencing this problem, I had rebuilt my Mac a couple times already, and every single time this problem is there. so I'm starting to get the feeling that this is a bug in parallels that hasn't been address yet?

here's the scenario:
    I'm running Windows XP Pro in Parallels (tried multiple VMs, not just 1, with the same result).
    I have a couple of location profiles on my Mac, one with wireless enabled and a static IP for my work, and another one for my home with a DHCP assigned address.

If I happen to change locations while parallels is running, it's the end of the road. I get the spinning wheel of death, and Parallels stops responding. I literally have to force quite the app. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Things I've tried:
    I've tried releasing my Parallels IP before changing locations
    I've tried disabling my network adapter on my Guest OS
    I've tried it on multiple VMs (all windows based)
    I've tried it even after a new build of my Mac OS (Tried on both 10.4.9 at the time, and 10.5.x)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated, as you can see that this problem can become pretty annoying when you have some 10 apps running on your Windows guest OS, and then POOF....you have to force quite...

Thanks!

2. angray

angray Bit poster

I have exactly the same problem. My workaround is that when I want to change network location, I suspend my VM, then close Parallels, switch location, then bring back the VM. I can usually do all of this in under a minute, as suspending is pretty fast, and no crashes so far.

3. gkhairallah

gkhairallah Bit poster

yeah . I guess that may work... I haven't tried it yet, but I'll give it a shot... I wonder what would happen if I even Pause the VM instead of suspending it, because that would probably be even faster...

4. naven87

naven87 Bit poster

My trick for switching locations

I have found that as long as I have a Mac application as the foreground app, and NOT parallels desktop, I can switch Locations without an issue. If I switch with Parallels as the active app I'm toast. But no problems if I do it with a Mac app selected.

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try this in Windows

ipconfig /release
    ipconfig /renew

6. naven87

naven87 Bit poster

Did you mean to do this before or after changing locations. If before I haven't tried it, although I'm not sure what difference it would make, if after, you can't because it is completely hung, I can't access any application in windows.

7. John@Parallels

Try before, and only
    ipconfig /release
    after location change
    ipconfig /renew

8. AaronH

AaronH Bit poster

I'm having the same problem as well. Parallels hangs when changing network location.

I have tried "ipconfig /release", and Parallels still hangs.

I have also disabled power management (in the Windows "Power Options") as suggested in another thread.

It would be nice to see a solution to this issue. It's currently my only complaint with Parallels.

9. John@Parallels

You can perform following workaround
    Switch to Shared (or Host only) and back to original settings

10. AaronH

AaronH Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion John.

However, I am using Shared Networking when the lockup occurs.

I just tried switching to "Host Only" networking before changing locations, and Parallels still hangs.

So, it hangs with both "Host Only" and "Shared" networking when changing location.

EDIT: This problem is reproducible every single time for me, so if there's anything else I can do to help track down the cause, then I'd be glad to help.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2008