Problem importing VM

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Rob G, Jul 12, 2008.

1. Rob G

Rob G Junior Member

Hi,

I've been trialling Fusion and would like to try Parallels for comparison purposes. I wanted to use Transporter to import the VMWare virtual machine that is already on my Mac. But I'm running into problems...

Transporter goes through the whole import process and says it has worked successfully. But when I try to launch the newly created VM in Parallels, here's what happens:

- First of all I get an error message saying that the VM can't launch because the floppy drive is not correctly configured. (There was no floppy drive on my source PC.) I follow the instructions by going into the VM settings, removing the floppy and then adding a new blank one. It seems to be happy with this.

- I then try to launch the VM again. I now get a DOS error message saying that the hal.dll file is missing or corrupt. I've scoured these forums and found many references to this issue, which mostly seems to affect VMs running from Boot Camp (I'm not using Boot Camp). But I haven't found any solution that I can either understand or that applies to my specific, non-Boot Camp scenario.

Can anyone help, please?

Thanks,

Rob

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

If you are migrating from Fusion, I recommend you to use migration not from Virtual machine but from OS itself, as it is real

3. Rob G

Rob G Junior Member

Hi John,

Aha, hadn't thought of that. I guess you mean running the Transporter utility right inside my Fusion virtual machine, as though I was running it on a physical PC, right?

Rob

4. John@Parallels

5. Rob G

Rob G Junior Member

OK, but why do I need to attach another virtual drive? I'm not sure I understand...

6. John@Parallels

In palce migration assumes using locally connected drive or external USB drive

7. Rob G

Rob G Junior Member

OK, so if I have an external HDD connected, then I can have Transporter write the new files to that?

8. John@Parallels