Mac newb, Time Machine and Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by pulserate, Jul 12, 2008.

1. pulserate

pulserate Bit poster

Hi

I'm moving from PC to Mac in the next few weeks, and I'll be installing Parallels to run XP virtually for the 2-3 Windows-only programs that I still can't live without.

I've searched around, but haven't found a definitive answer for this:

I know if Mac doesn't natively run a program, then obviously you can't install that program -- but what about the documents or files associated with that program...?

For instance; let's say Photoshop was a Windows-only program. In this made-up scenario, I can't install Photoshop to OS X, so I install it in Parallels. Now, once it is installed in Parallels, can I make the default 'save' folder a folder on OS X? Will Parallels allow me to automatically save cross-platform with Windows programs that use an automatic save feature?

I hope that makes sense..?

I ask because I've heard some nightmare stories of Time Machine fully backing up the VM on a regular basis, with the only way to avoid it is by disabling the VM backup in Time Machine. But then, new documents and folders created on the VM won't be backed up either.

In that scenario, no OS X program would be able to actually open the Photoshop files, but I would assume the 'data' of those files would still be saved on the Mac and can be transferred by disk etc. to a PC with a program that can read them properly, in the off chance that something goes wrong in Parallels.

One Windows-only program that I use has auto-save to a folder you determine when installing the program. I'm just hoping, and asking if, I can make that default folder an OS X folder...so that the file itself still gets picked up by Time Machine, without saving the entire VM.

Thanks!

2. Robertito

Robertito Junior Member

Yes you can do everything in MacOS X

If you use the last version of MacOS X (Leopard) you can use TimesMachine for regular backup. In TimesMachine, you can backup all your hard drive or only few part. You have just to go to the preferences of the software and say what you don't want to backup.

In Parallels you also can make MacOsX folder to be the default save folder. The best part in Parallels (or inside Window program) you also can put all your Window files in MacOsX folders and backup it. That simple and easy. By the way, Parallels make MacOsX perfectly transparent. If you put your Window files inside Window folders inside Window you have to back up all the Parallels folders (around 10 gig for me), that not the best way to work.

Sorry for my bad english,,, I hope that answer your question.