Which GPS/Map works with 5608 and WinXP?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by kuebler, Jul 13, 2008.

1. kuebler

kuebler Member

I'm travelling through the US and need a map software with GPS navigation. My old DeLorme, which I used in 2004 on a WinXP notebook, installs correctly, including the USB GPS sensor. But about a minute after I start the software and initiate the GPS positioning, the whole Parallels crashes suddenly, apparently during the software trying to acquire the satellites. I tried it several times, including after de-installation and re-installation, but it simply doesn't work.

Before I buy a new system from DeLorme or Microsoft, I would be grateful to hear, which system works successfully on a Macbook with 10.5.4 and Parallels 5608 with Windows XP.

Thanks for any help.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Just search this forum for GPS, the several threads are out there

3. kuebler

kuebler Member

I had searched this forum exactly for GPS and found app. 4..5 threads, none of which pointed me to a working system. And this is easily to understand because nobody with a working system opens a thread.

So I repeat my question: could anybody be so kind just to tell me, which GPS/map system he knows working on my Parallels configuration? Thanks in advance.

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I have a Garmin Quest which works very well with the included Map on windows.

However I have stopped using the windows version since Garmin has now a Mac version of their software.

5. kuebler

kuebler Member

Thanks for the hint, but as I understood this is a completely external system.

I would prefer a GPS/map system running fully on the notebook, because I assume that thus it would have more data for travel information available, such as all available RV-parks and so on. Or am I wrong with this assumption?

6. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Hi,

In the case of the quest, you are indeed wrong. The quest comes with its own database of information. It also keeps a track of all places which were traveled to while turned on.

In fact, I sometimes use it to tag my current location when in a particularly big parking so I can find my car. It can actually be used to take a stroll in a forest, and then you can use it to retrace back your steps.

The inconvenience of having a laptop based navigation system is that you have to keep your laptop on at all times and it is quite a bit bigger then a dedicated GPS unit which you carry in your pocket.

Why don't you also takea look at the iPhone, it now comes with GPS and is connected directly to the internet, so you can use google map to find any point of interest?

7. kuebler

kuebler Member

You're right, I'll indeed consider buying a Germin Nuvi 200w for my present journey. Re the iPhone, I have one with me, but I can have internet access here in the US only at prohibitive cost.