IE localhost access with MAMP

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by uwe, Jan 8, 2008.

1. uwe

uwe Bit poster

This issue has been discussed lately and it seems its working with everybody but me:(

OK, I have edited the host setting in Vista and can access the local (built in) Apache server of my Mac, via the given name "macserver".

However if I want to access http://macserver:8888 (my MAMP installation) IE is giving me an error: This error (HTTP 403 Forbidden) means that Internet Explorer was able to connect to the website, but it does not have permission to view the webpage.

Any idea how to give permissions to IE, Vista whatsoever?

Thanks!

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Can anyone on your lan see it?

3. uwe

uwe Bit poster

Have just tried it out with another Mac - same result: Error 403 - forbidden.

Any idea where I can change the permissions for local access to my MAMP server? Web Sharing is on.

Thanks!

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It looks like you have it bound to another port, which is good, but do you understand what you are doing? This really isn't a Parallels question, but I'll try and give you a few tips.

Firstly, the System Preferences in OS X manage what OS X installed by default, namely their built-in Apache, PHP and MySQL. It sounds like their Apache is working as you can access over port 80 which is what the default Apache installation in OS X is bound to. So, what is showing in your Web Sharing doesn't have anything to do, UNLESS you bound your apache installation in your MAMP stack to port 80, which it appears you did not.

Secondly, how did you install the MAMP stack? If you used an installer, I highly recommend you go through the learning curve of hand-compiling to figure out what things are doing a little bit better.

Thirdly, what are the permissions on the root directory that the apache installation in the MAMP stack uses? Did you try (not recommended for production uses) chmod'ing the directory to 666?

I'll talk with you off-thread some more if you want to tell me what you are trying to accomplish, I'll give you some pointers from there, but this isn't a Parallels discussion so I don't want to clutter the threads.

5. Saiing

Saiing Junior Member

This worked flawlessly for me:

I'm assuming you have already installed MAMP, Parallels and Guest OS.

1. In a web browser in the guest OS, go to http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/windows/bonjourforwindows.html - download and install it.

2. On your Mac go to System Preferences>Sharing. At the top of the window there should be a message saying "Computers on your local network can access your computer at: your-computer-name.local" If you want to make this shorter or easier to remember, click the edit button on the right and enter a new name into the local hostname box. I set mine to macpro.local

That's it. Just a few clicks and no major config of Mac OS or Parallels required. You can now access your MAMP webserver from a Windows browser in the guest OS using the hostname you chose.

(Only tested on XP since that's what I'm running in Parallels).

6. uwe

uwe Bit poster

Thank you Saiing, I can access my Mamp server with this easy configuration you recommended. However I still have no access to the websites hosted with Mamp. But I still have the issue with no permission to access the sites. Don't know how to chmod the directory, since BatChmod only allows to chmod files, rather than directories.

7. Saiing

Saiing Junior Member

chmod -R should do the trick for all subdirectories and files.

8. bowbot

bowbot Junior Member

Saiing,
    The bonjour tip did the trick for me. < 5 minutes and now I can QA websites on all browsers even with cisco vpn running in XP.

9. funkyboy

funkyboy Bit poster

The bonjour trick worked for me.
    But I can only access stuff located in my htdocs.
    For example I have a local blog at htdocs/wordpress but I cannot access it: I get a "page not found" message.

Thanks,