Crashes/Slowdowns of Parallels 5608 OSX 10.5.3

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by pkasin, Jun 26, 2008.

1. pkasin

pkasin Bit poster

I seem to be having quite a few problems with version 5608 on my MBP running Windows XP Pro. I am running Leopard 10.5.3. I can not leave PDM running for very long without it eating up all of my resources over time, and gets slower and sometimes even crashes within 24 hours.

I recently installed a Samsung SyncMaster 2693HM external monitor. I leave the USB connections to OS X, as I understand that there are a few issues reported. However, I hear my laptop humming after PDM has been booted for a while.

I understand there is a new version coming soon. Is this to be corrected upon its launch?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Actually we are already working to decrease CPU load during startup?

3. elliottness

elliottness Bit poster

Crash and Slowdown of 5608

I have the same problem. If my computer goes to sleep while running Parallels, it will lock up my entire computer. It may be related to the amount of time the computer has been running which would point to a build up of memory storage.

It is debilitating as I have to shut down parallels and my laptop completely to avoid the problem. I am running a MacBook Pro
    System Version: Mac OS X 10.5.3 (9D34)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 9.3.0

Beings it is a laptop, having to shut everything down makes the portability moot.

The slow-down over time is also a hassle and is pushing me away from Parallels.

4. John@Parallels

Did you disable power management for Windows, and what programs are running
    in VM?

5. elliottness

elliottness Bit poster

I just double-checked my power settings - I had not disabled anything and have updated them accordingly.

My main program running is MS Excel.

6. John@Parallels

Well, I tested clean install with Office 2007 , Windows XP SP3, power management disabled, without external monitor (left opened Excel, Word, PP), cannot reproduce.
    May be you can try to disconnect external monitor and check ?

7. jordan314

jordan314 Junior Member

I am continuing to have issues with Parallels 5608 on 10.5.3 and 10.5.4. I believe USB detection is the culprit. The CPU would max out at 100% if I plugged a USB device in until I clicked yes or no for connect to windows XP. I tried turning off device detection and leaving all USB to OS X, and I think it made it even worse because now it's just slow all the time. I'm actually going to go back and have it detect devices again so that I can click no when I plug in devices just to speed up parallels again.

8. John@Parallels

This bug is added already I answered in another thread