Parallels-Desktop-5608-Mac-en-ND.dmg

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by dweisz, Jul 14, 2008.

1. dweisz

dweisz Bit poster

I tried to install this upgrade and I've run into a couple of errors. First, it seems to make Parallels "not respond" in the OS environment. Second, when I try to launch the program in the OS X environment (the .dmg program), I get a message that says " The following disk image failed to mount "Paralles-desktop-560 not recognized"

2. bento

bento Bit poster

Hi dweisz,

I'm having the exact same problem as you - downloaded the .dmg yesterday after using the software update checker. No go with the .dmg - only says that it isn't recognized.

I really hope that there is some kind of fix to this, because it is seriuosly annoying...

Just a thought - how about downloading the latest demo version? Would that by any chance work?

3. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

4. bpzdiver

bpzdiver Member

I have a slow bandwidth so the 89 meg file takes about an hour to download. I just did the same thing, downloaded 5608 and chose "yes" to auto update. Icon just spins, Force Quit says Parallels is not responding, so I force quit, reboot the Mac and try to open the dmg, get the same error message. Do I have to download it again and chose "no" for auto update in order to open the dmg manually?

5. John@Parallels

6. bpzdiver

bpzdiver Member

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

7. BronL

BronL Bit poster

I had the same issue, and the instructions from John worked. I would just add that as an inexperienced Unix user, I found the warning about the sudo command disconcerting, and I was unaware that when you enter a password in Terminal there is no visual feedback that characters are being entered. This could well be even more confusing for those with even less experience than I.

Also - I don't know if it was related - but when I booted Windows I got two warnings that Windows (XP) had recovered from a serious error and did I want to tell Microsoft about it. All appears OK so far, however.

8. rokalefi

rokalefi Bit poster

Is there a German version

Hi John,

the autoupdate version for 5608 seems also not to work. Can you get me the link to a working DE-version?

Thanks,

Robert

9. John@Parallels

I answered in PM

10. travelindan13

travelindan13 Bit poster

What are you waiting for - the wrong file has been on the server for at least 6 month

When are you guys going to update the file on the server so the auto update downloads the correct file? You've had the wrong file up there for at least 6 months or more which is as long as I have been trying to update the software on my machine. I finally found this thread today and am amazed, since I went through the automated update yet again today for the umpteenth, time it's still downloading the wrong/corrupt file.

Come on people - get your act together already! How long does it take to copy a file from one directory to another?

11. John@Parallels

We did that about month ago, nobody reported this problem again
    May be ISP does something?

12. Skorpeyon

Skorpeyon Bit poster

I've been having the same problem as travelindan13 for the past two months or so. Just now found this thread and am downloading the standalone installer. It seems to me that whatever was wrong has not been fixed.

13. adamnieman

adamnieman Bit poster

Rather disappointed with Parallels

I have been having the same problem for months (I haven't been able to update since build 5584). I have just twice tried to download and install 5608 but received the familiar message: 'failed to mount... not recognized'. I didn't know whether this was a problem with my Mac or with Parallels.

What gets me is that, looking for help, I searched the Parallels knowledge-base and FAQs in vain, several times. I wasn't aware of this Forum and only discovered it via a Google search. I still haven't found a fix that works for me, and I've already put as much time into looking for one as I can spare. All I have seen from Parallels is 'it's probably your ISP's fault'. I'm disappointed that Parallels can't fix this problem, or at least post clear instructions about how to work around it in the knowledge-base.

I'm running Windows on a second machine - which wasn't the plan. I currently advise people not to bother with Parallels.

14. John@Parallels

As I mentioned, this problem fixed almost month ago, for now this is only incident
    I am tracing this thread to see if anyone else meets this problem.

15. adamnieman

adamnieman Bit poster

Because I am experiencing the same symptoms that others have described (and have been for some time) my guess is that you only think you fixed the problem over a month ago. But I could be wrong - my problem might be unique and unrelated.

Also, because it is very difficult for a casual user of Parallels to find any reference to the problem or to this forum thread on the Parallels support site, monitoring this thread might not reveal how many users are experiencing the problem.

But you might be right - it is at least possible that I am now the last person on Earth who is having trouble installing Parallels updates. Even so, do you have any suggestions about how I might find a solution?

Thanks in advance.

16. John@Parallels

I am monitoring all threads in Parallels Desktop forum, if I notice anyone else, sure I will report this problem to web admins

Do you need direct link, if localized or US?

17. jsunflower

jsunflower Bit poster

I am experiencing the same problems described below. Found the thread through Google. I am attempting to update from 5582, and after I download and launch the .dmg Parallels becomes unresponsive. Upon relaunching and attempting to open the .dmg, I get the message "Parallels-Desktop-560 not recognized"

18. John@Parallels

Where are you living, I need at least state

19. jsunflower

jsunflower Bit poster

I am in Lawrence, KS

20. novakane

novakane Bit poster

Disk Utility did the trick...

I have had this same issue for months with build 5608. After running disk repair, the installation worked like a charm. I didn't have to go through all the command line stuff in Terminal.