ATI Radeon X1900 XT.. no graphics at all??

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by jt_lefebvre, Jul 22, 2008.

1. jt_lefebvre

jt_lefebvre Bit poster

Hi. I installed Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5608. With Windows XP SP2.
    I'm running a Mac Pro with Dual, Dual Core Intel Xeon Processors both at 2.2GHz
    2GB ram
    250 GB Hard Drive
    and an ATI Radeon X1900 XT graphics card.

I'm running my customization of the emulator at 800MB dedicated memory.
    1280x1024 resolution
    Direct X / OpenGL features checked..

When running windows, I'm trying to get my graphics adapter adjusted so I can play games like Guild Wars and
    work with 3DS Max 9, Maya, and AutoCAD. I have a feeling that since I can't get the graphics to work on a DX8 game,
    nothing else is going to work..
    In the configuration for Parallels, I have enabled the Direct X feature.
    In windows XP my graphics adapter shows that its using vgaSave.. is there a way to fix this? I'm pretty lost here.
    Thanks
    Johnnie

2. fbronner

fbronner Pro

Did you install the parallel tools?

3. jt_lefebvre

jt_lefebvre Bit poster

how do i do that? i have the transfer and image tools...

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

5. jt_lefebvre

jt_lefebvre Bit poster

ahaaa! Got it thanks!
    I guess it still needs a little work. Shaders and textures are downright weird for this game.. I seem
    to have better luck with the directX support turned off.. it's more playable but looks downright ugly.

Here's a question.. does the video memory allocation have something to do with the performance of
    games and applications in windows? (i.e. 3DS Max 9, Maya, After Effects, SolidWorks, etc..)
    The most parallels allows me to allocate would be 64MB. I have a 512MB video card.. I want to allocate more
    memory than that.. perhaps, 256MB. How can I do it?
    Thanks for the help!

Johnnie

6. fbronner

fbronner Pro

You cannot allocate real memory from your real graphic card to the emulated machine.

Remember, what parallel does is present a fake machine with fake hardware to the windows running inside it. You do not access your real graphic card from windows, and thus its why its important to install the parallel tools which give windows a little bit faster access to your hardware.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

in Parallels Desktop version 4 amount of available memory will be increased to 128 mb