Video card not working on parallels

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by samvun88, Jul 18, 2008.

1. samvun88

samvun88 Bit poster

I'm running parallels desktop from a MacBook Pro. This is my graphics driver.

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT graphics processor with dual-link DVI support; 256MB of GDDR3 memory on 2.4GHz configuration

however in parallels, it is only using the "parallels video driver". And it doesn't seem to detect the GeForce 8600.

Is there any way that i could get it to detect and use the GeForce 8600? Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Video card emulated in any Virtual Software is VESA compatible, yo cannot nstall or detect Video card installed on Host

3. MACrispy

MACrispy Bit poster

Correct, but as I have mentioned in other posts, Parallels could and should do away with the virtual video card, and give Windows access the real video hardware. It should be possible to call the Quartz CGDisplayCapture() function to take over the display. Once Parallels has exclusive access to the display, it should be free to play with the video hardware registers as it sees fit. Couple that with making Windows aware of what video hardware is installed in the machine, and a user would be able to install the Windows driver for his video card. In theory, games and other graphics intensive software should then run just as well under Parallels as they do with Boot Camp.

4. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I don't think it is good idea, as in this case we are trying to put Parallels drivers more and more dependent on kernel level, which can make product unstable