Scrolling in java applications on 5160

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by larsgraulund, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Xenos

Xenos Parallels Team

Hello all,

cwacked, as to old Java versions, java 1.3, 1.4.2 and 1.5 mentioned by larsgraulund, ronflax and airmunch are not fresh releases. And you haven't been pointing out which version you're using till your last post.

Thank you for your report. I've notified our developers of the issue. They are working hard to fix it.

Best regards,
    Xenos

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007
  2. MRJohnson

MRJohnson Bit poster

I am having the same issue with the Java screen refresh issue. Unfortunately, we work with vendors that only support older versions of Java. Our hands are tied. We have to use the older version for now. I tested the newest version of Java and had the issue as well.

3. MRJohnson

MRJohnson Bit poster

Short term fix

I downgraded the guest OS (WinXP Pro) video driver to version 4560 and the java issue went away. That would definately be a great place for the developers to start. Thanks to Bob Garrido for the work around!

4. rizwank

rizwank Bit poster

MRJohnson, how did you install 4560's parallel tools in a newer Parallels instance? Is there a way of downloading the order drivers?

5. MRJohnson

MRJohnson Bit poster

Finding 4560 Driver

I would suspect the version 4560 parallel tools would have had to be installed in the guest OS at one time or another. If you think they were you should be able to go into the Device Manager, right-click on the Parallels Video Driver and go to properties.

Go to the Driver tab and click on Update Driver.
    Choose No when asked to connect to Windows Update.
    Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)
    Don't search. I will choose the driver to install
    Make sure Show compatible hardware is checked

You should see a list of all prior versions of the video driver that have been installed. Hopefully, you will find 4560 in the list, choose it and then reboot the guest.

I am not sure where you would get them but if you don't see it in the list maybe you could get someone to send you the installer for the 4560 parallel tools and install them and then upgrade to the latest and then downgrade the video driver.

6. asaraiva

asaraiva Bit poster

Where I can find the 4560 video drivers?

I am facing the same scrolling issues inside NetBeans. And I really need to have this fixed as this is my primary working environment.

Could you please point me to where I can get this version (4560) of the Parallels Tools video drivers so I can downgrade my current installation (5160).

Thanks in advance

7. Bob Garrido

Bob Garrido Bit poster

Still not resolved under 5582 nor 5584

I was hoping that the scrolling issue using Java in Parallels would get resolved in the releases after 5160. Unfortunately the issue has not been resolved. Is this being addressed at all?

8. aaltieri

aaltieri Member

Greetings;

I'm using build 5582 and having this problem. I also noticed that icons in java aplets are distorted. I was using JRE 5 on the laptop, then used the transporter to pull it over to the VM. So this still seems to be an issue.

Is there any way someone can post the old video drivers to try to test?

Thanks!

--anthony

9. RyanB

RyanB Bit poster

I also am experiencing this problem. I am using build 5584 and am curious to know if there is any prediction for when this problem will be resolved.

10. mfkilgore

mfkilgore Member

I am on 5608 and STILL have this problem. Also latest Java, Windows 2003 with all updates, latest OS X. Eager to know if there is a workaround

11. mfkilgore

mfkilgore Member

Is there a workaround for this issue?

As this problem occurs all the time when I am running any Java application, and I have not seen others report the problem (recently), I am assuming there is a workaround or setting that I have missed. If there is a solution and/or a way to make the screen refresh on scrolling less obvious please post here.

I am currently running the latest parallels desktop, windows 2003 and the latest java version. The problem is most obvious when scrolling through a list using the scroll bar for some reason down seems to work scrolling up distorts the entire list. The java application is currently a remote download via java webstart and I do not have control of various setting on that application.

Thanks in advance.

12. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Try to play with:
    - DirectX Shaders enable/disable
    - Video memory -increase to 64 mb
    - Decrease Windows resolution

13. mfkilgore

mfkilgore Member

John, thank you for the reply and ideas. I tried all of the options you indicate and still have the same problem, scrolling of any listbox (*up) causes the distortion. I had already increased my video memory to 64mb, directx and screen size did nothing.

Are you not seeing this problem?

I am happy to try any more ideas you have.

14. aaltieri

aaltieri Member

I just tried these with win2k, XP and vista. No change. I'm still having the problems as well.

I should point out that I have the latest version of Java and Build 5608 installed these days. Although I've had this problem with every version of java and every build so far.

15. John@Parallels

I need some example application to try, I agree this is not the first time I hear it, but I cannot get any application to check

16. mfkilgore

mfkilgore Member

Examples - There are many of them

John,

Any Java application will work to show this problem. By way of example you can go to the following site http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/uiswing/examples/components/index.html

This is an example page with source code for the java swing components. About half way down the page you will find ListDemo. Select launch and you will see a small application with a list box. Add a few items to the list to cause the scroll bar to appear. Using the scroll bar scroll the list up and down - you will see the problem.

Let me know if this is enough of an example for you and the parallels team to fix this long standing problem.

Thank you,

17. mfkilgore

mfkilgore Member

John,

Any update on this one, have you been able to duplicate the problem?

Thanks

18. John@Parallels

Yes, I reproduced, and will submit problem, it will take time to find solution, as problem is from VESA drivers

19. mfkilgore

mfkilgore Member

John,

Thank you again for the update. It is good to know that you have reproduced the problem. I understand it may take some time to fix, how will I be notified when a fix is available? This is a critical issue for me, I would consider and early release or even a stable beta to address it.

20. John@Parallels

Well, let us see
    I checked it on PD 3 , Parallels Server, and PD 4beta,
    problems is only on PD 3, the question now is, how critical it is ?
    Let us see, the problem is causing not by Parallels Desktop bu by the VESA driver (I reproduced it also on RHEL4 on Sun Ray), so it is not Parallels specific,
    If you are going to upgrade to PD4, you can now start using Parallels Server for 2 month, and when PD4 will come just continue using those VMs(current VM will be upgraded from PD3 to PD4 without problems - just remove Parallel Tools first)
    If you are not going to upgrade to PD 4, I need some time to check urgency of this problem, as developers are highly busy, and I am not be able to increase priority, unless I see it is affecting too many people

Please see I described situation, and I want dialog here, not just complains that Parallels want users to upgrade to get more $