Can't boot - "autochk program not found - skipping autocheck" after XP SP3

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Al_Q, May 26, 2008.

1. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

One correction to step 7, if you do a repair Install with a XP SP3 cd, XP will already up to SP3 so there's no need to install SP3 after the repair install.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

The conflict will probably still exist, since SP3 is already there. So the only way to avoid problems would be to install Boot Camp and upgrade it in Safe Mode. What about that for added complexity? ;)

4. John@Parallels

Well , article is open for discussion, we will analyze users feedback, and make some decision

5. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Ok, I think a gave all the feedback that was reasonable from a customer, I won't give any attention to this issue from now on, I'll considered it solved.

6. blinky

blinky Junior Member

John -- can you please add that if the problem is ONLY that the 'autochk' comes up in Parallels, then you only need to do the uninstall of the tools not the whole SP3 enchilada. Or make that a separate FAQ doc, whatever's best, but it seems that should be clarified.

Aside from that, it seems strange that the SP3 would work without Boot Camp 2.1 installed, so I share Specimen's concern about the problem cropping up between the load of 2.0 and 2.1. Have you tried your procedure to verify that it works? Just curious because I don't have time to try it myself and I'm wondering if it works. It seems prudent to do so, since the SP3 trouble might hit very hard on Thursday when it's pushed via autoupdate.

7. John@Parallels

Do you mean autochk when VM in not based on Boot Camp?

About SP3
    We are performing repair with SP3, so it is installed during repair
    and Boot Camp 2.1 id satisfies to requirements

8. blinky

blinky Junior Member

I mean that both cases should be getting addressed by Parallels. Users have come even to this thread who have the autochk error coming up only in Parallels not when running in Boot Camp. I think they meant that they're running Parallels to access a Boot Camp installation but I can't go through to inventory the posts of the last bunch of forum pages.

Imagine if the user only has the trouble when starting the Boot Camp VM in Parallels. You wouldn't want to suggest their solution is to create an SP3 installation CD etc. when their problem could simply be solved by clearing Parallels Tools then letting it get reinstalled. Thus, it seems that there should be some sort of solution suggested also for the users who only have this rather more lightweight problem. Maybe that's a separate KB article, maybe it's embedded in the same one you've posted, but it should be stated somewhere that the large part of the procedure can be bypassed if the autochk symptom only presents itself when booting using Parallels.

Re: SP3
    You're performing the repair, then uninstalling Boot Camp drivers, installing 2.0 then 2.1. Both those installations suggest or require restarts after installation. Specimen's post didn't uninstall or go back to Boot Camp drivers 2.0 as I recall, so...

I was wondering if you tried your procedure to see if it works.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2008
  9. makoymac@mac.com

makoymac@mac.com Bit poster

Can not boot nrmally

I have completed the procedure, but the situation not change.
    I set up a CD to boot FP image.

10. makoymac@mac.com

MBR Fixing

I got the trouble many many days ago and working only under Parallels.

But my work forced me to reboot from boot camp.
    So I tried the step suggested in the first message relating to MBR fix.
    I created CD bootable FPimage containing PTEDIT and I fixed the MBR but the result was what I said in the last message.

After finding the result I read through the thread and find out FIXBOOT and/or FIXMBR is needed.
    So, I created a Recovery Console CD and try the FIXBOOT.
    FIXBOOT give me a warning that the MBR has no standard or not effective format.

Please suggest me what shall I apply FIXBOOT and/or FIXMBR?

11. John@Parallels

12. makoymac@mac.com

Thank you John.
    I have read the message before.
    But I would like to apply your original method in a safeway.
    The FIXMBR warning says,in worst case the MBR may be borken, so I had hesitated to proceed.

13. John@Parallels

This Fixmbr should be used only in case Norton software broke something not in case you installed SP3 from Parallels

14. makoymac@mac.com

Recovery Console shows me C: drive.
    So,MBR works fine to find C drive.
    Boot indicator of Mac partion is 80 and C drive is 00 now.
    Shall I exchange the indicator by PTEDIT or do FIXMBR exchange the indicators and other information(which I am not sure of the exact detail)?

15. John@Parallels

It is fine, there is no use from ptedit if you are not using Norton software.
    Just follow steps in article

16. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

BAM! First visible victim of that PTEDIT Fixmbr/fixboot mess of instructions that should have never been put on this thread.

makoymac@mac.com: Forget about PTEDIT and FIXMBR/FIXBOOT you read here, it was a mistake. It was the result of John googling for this problem and finding references to the autochk error and Norton software (that's why he keeps referencing if you have Norton software, althought no user of Parallels that has ever reported this autochk error had any relation to Symantec).
    After much insistence on my part finally a solution that works for this problem (Windows Repair Install) was pushed forward. Unfortunately those non-working instructions are still on this thread and you seem to have fall victim of that, althought my posts on this thread should have raised some alarms.

Follow the article that John posted and forget about the rest.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2008
  17. John@Parallels

Specimen is right
    just use article I mentioned

18. makoymac@mac.com

Thank you,John and Specimen,

I finally recover from the problem.

I had already uninstalled the Parallels and
    the system is already becoming SP3,
    I can skip the step 7, but all other steps were needed to recover from the suffer.

I am using Japanese version,so understanding your messages need some effort.

19. Levent Colak

Levent Colak Bit poster

Similar Problem but in boot camp start

Hi all,

I read all this treads and thought that it might work also for me, but not that fast. Let me summarize my situation:
    First I install XP3 through Parallels and my boot camp starts giving me the " Autochk program not found - skipping autocheck " then I search a little and found this tread and give it a shot by uninstalling SP3 via parallels and goto boot camp try the SP3 install from there. Strange thing my boot camp starts without a problem anyway I upgrade it to SP3 then goto Parallels and do a "clear" and run it. Look ok,runs smoothly. But then when I go back to boot camp, it gave me the same error. (It gives the error and try to reboot again) Hence I thought there is no short cut to the problem and decide to follow the exact steps given here ,I mean the in link. But guess what trying that also put me into same point where Parallels works but no boot camp.
    Since I realize that people in this tread are getting the error while trying to boot into Paralles may be my situation is different. I'll really appreciate the helps even though looks like the problem is solved for this tread.
    Here are some info about what I'm using:

MacBook 2.16GHz 2GB RAM
    Running Mac OS X 10.5.4 (9E17)
    Parallels 5608

Thanks in advance.

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Be sure that:

*You have the latest version of Boot Camp (drivers) from Apple (2.1).
    *That the latest version of Parallels Tools on Windows is installed.

(Both these things should have been there prior to SP3 install).

Let me try to be as simple as possible:

*If you get the autocheck error under Boot Camp, use the Windows repair install procedure.
    *If you get the autocheck error under Parallels, do the 'Clear' for 'Cleanup Boot Camp Partition' (Configuration Editor > Hard Disk > Advanced).

(Re-activation of Windows maybe required).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008