Launching Web Links in Safari, not IE

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by TrevorRu, Feb 4, 2008.

1. TrevorRu

TrevorRu Bit poster

Apologies if this has been covered before, but a search didn't show any relevant posts.
    I am running Vista in Parallels 3.0 on a Mac running Leopard.
    When I click on an http link in Outlook, I would like the link to launch in Safari and not in Internet Explorer.
    In Vista in Control Panel>Programs>Default Programs>Set Associations, I have changed all the relevant file extensions (eg. .html) to use Safari, but this didn't work.
    There is a section in the same area for 'Protocols' where it lists HTTP and HTTPS, but when I click 'Change program' for these it doesn't offer me anything other than Internet Explorer.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Trevor

2. reesd

reesd Member

I have the same question. Anyone have suggestions? SmartSelect is based on suffixes so it doesn't seem to be the right thing.
    Thanks,
    d

3. TrevorRu

TrevorRu Bit poster

FYI - this can be set up if you are running XP in Parallels, but, so it appears, not in Vista...

4. reesd

reesd Member

I actually am running XP, how do I go about setting it up? - Thanks

5. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Parallels Desktop -Preferences - General -Shared web Applications - Web pages

6. reesd

reesd Member

Thanks for the tip, I never though to look under preferences (vs VM Configuration and the Applications menu). Still, I changed "Web pages" to "Open in Mac OS X", restarted my image and parallels, and links in Outlook still open in my Windows instance rather than the Mac.

I went to the "Set Program Access and Defaults" to see if there was something to tweak there, but my only options where IE or Firefox - nothing about Parallels. Safari, or Mac browsers.

Any other hints?

Thanks,

dave

7. John@Parallels

Looks like Parallels Tools are not installed, if installed click Parallels Desktop -Actions Populate
    Also, you mentioned Outlook, the problem is that there are 2 types of applications calls
    through registry and through COM+ objects
    In case of Outlook, and Outlook Express calls are going through COM+, and Parallels doesn't catch it

8. Jinx

Jinx Bit poster

I run XP under parallels and it used to work perfectly to open websites in Firefox (mac) out of outlook (parallels) or other parallels apps, now that I updated to the latest parallels it always opens Firefox (parallels)! even reverting to an older version of parallels it doesn't fix it! this is very annoying! I tried all of the above and other things...parallels tools is installed, applications are populated etc......any fix or update for this glitch?

9. John@Parallels

3 steps
    -in Windows select htm, html files to always open in Firefox (Mac OS)
    - Parallels Desktop -Applications Edit- Firefox - and select Mac Side applications
    - Finder-username-Documents-Parallels - VM name- Windows Applications - delete Firefox

10. Jinx

Jinx Bit poster

Thanks John for the reply,

i tried it all, your previous hints and now the last 3 suggestions....it still doesn't work! any other hint? I am desperate! All Links under Parallels are still opend with Parallels' Firefox...

maybe something else? don't other people have the same type of problems?

11. John@Parallels

One more step
    Parallels Desktop -Preferences- General
    Shared Web Applications
    Web Pages, open in Mac OS

12. Jinx

Jinx Bit poster

Hi John,

I did all that and double checked every move....webpages now open in firefox (mac) from the parallels desktop, but they still open in firefox (parallels) if opened from word and outlook....

maybe you have something else?

13. John@Parallels

One more step.
    Open regedit from Start run,
    Open HKCR hive
    locate .html and .htm hives and change default value from FirefoxHTML htmlfile

Example before
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html]
    @="FirefoxHTML"
    "Content Type"="text/html"
    "PerceivedType"="text"

After
    [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.html]
    @="htmlfile"
    "Content Type"="text/html"
    "PerceivedType"="text"

14. Jinx

Jinx Bit poster

Still not working

Hi John,

I attached you a screenshot ("Bild 6")of the settings, everything seems like the "after" shot of yours....

there is also a "firefoxhtml" (Bild 7) thread under the HKCR hive....maybe I have to change something there??

Thanks for your support!

Attached Files:

15. John@Parallels

What about .htm?

16. Jinx

Jinx Bit poster

it looks like it is supposed to look according to your description!

17. Jinx

Jinx Bit poster

here is the screenshot...

any other ideas?? (please ;-))

Attached Files:

18. Geesu

Geesu Member

Were you able to get this working?

19. Jinx

Jinx Bit poster

no, still doesn't work...anybody else with the same problem??

20. dziskind

dziskind Bit poster

How i fixed it....

In Windows Control Panel:
    Folder Options -> File Types

Scroll down to URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol (its near the top)
    Click on it in the list, click advanced, click edit uncheck Use DDE. Then OK , OK

Do the same for URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol with Privacy (next in list)

if you go back into the advanced -> edit, you'll see that DDE is back on and the application used is SharedIntApp in the parallels tools folder