Fedora Core 9 Parallels Tools Install Failure

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by Bruce Graham, Mar 1, 2008.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I suppose to have answer in 2-3 days, please remind me if I miss

2. RobW

RobW Junior Member

You missed.

3. John@Parallels

Nop, we haven't had time to make a meeting past week,will try this week

4. RobW

RobW Junior Member

I've been playing with this today. I've had no luck with the 'out of the box' experience. When I did the change from 24 bit to 16 bit, I got scrambled screen. Then I tried my suggestion for FC7 http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?p=73194#post73194. Guess what? I'm as happy as can be. Everything works just like FC7 did (does). But only if you have color depth set to 16. I think the Horizontal and Vertical are pretty important.

5. tingham

tingham Bit poster

John.

What's the deal?

-Thomas

6. fromans

fromans Member

And John, while you're getting them to fix the tools install in Fedora 9, get them to fix the "parallels-config" command for installing Workstation under a Fedora 9 host as well. It's been months now!

Thanks.

P.S. Release an update for Workstation 2.2, period!!!

7. John@Parallels

We are working on it, I will update thread , when there are any news

8. fromans

fromans Member

No offense to you, John, but I don't believe you. Your management and Dev team are failing to deliver. You seem like a good guy to cover for them and post as often as you do, even though there's usually not much info in them. The only reason I'm still hanging around these forums is because of the $$$ I've spent on PD for Mac and PW for Win/Lin licenses. I've been using VMware and VirtualBox now. Both those products function on ALL platforms and I have no trouble moving VMs between them. I vaguely remember Parallels touting a similar "future" feature like that but it's been over a year now.....

9. jimcoyle

jimcoyle Hunter

I think you are right. John seems to be a good guy working for an arrogant, almost completely unresponsive company. (You will note the recent departure of their US rep who used to do the blog.) The "June update" promised in MAY is still not here FOUR MONTHS LATER. And, as has been pointed out, new versions of Ubuntu and Fedora are on the horizon. As soon as I have money to pay for a competitors product, I'll be moving toward it. There is absolutely no excuse for Parallels to not provide a fix after 1/3 of a year, particularly when their competitors took care of these issues long ago.

10. John@Parallels

Well, thanks for opinion, I will ask again in Monday about build 5618,
    If I am allowed to publish , I will give a link to build

11. John@Parallels

12. Frungi

Frungi Junior Member

I’m still getting the error:

Found xorg version 1.5.0
    Installation for xorg.1.5 not found.

13. murphy

murphy Member

This version is worse than 5608. After installing 5624 I deleted my Fedora Core 9 installation and installed it again from scratch. X11 does not start by itself and can't be forced to start with init 5. The screen goes as far as starting anacron and then flashes about 32 times and is back at the command prompt. I edited xorg.conf to change all of the video level 24s to 16s but it made no difference. X11 will not start. Parallels Tools is installed.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2008
  14. John@Parallels

I am checking it now

15. John@Parallels

I submitted problem to developers

16. nixwiz

nixwiz Bit poster

Same here

I'm getting this as well, build 5624, Fedora Core 9.

17. John@Parallels

Developers are already working on problem.

18. bertfreudenberg

bertfreudenberg Bit poster

Great. I got F9 working using the 16 bpp vesa trick but it's rather uncomfortable without the prl tools support.

19. yairw

yairw Bit poster

Does anyone know when this will be fixed? I'd like not to spend hours trying to get something that is meant to be simple working.

20. John@Parallels

Workarround is for now to change color depth from default 24 to 16 in /etc/X11/xorg.conf