Changing Mac' screen/desktop resolution based on the virtual machine

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Rastikan, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

I really like Parallels Desktop 3.0. I use it mostly for developing Windows software in a virtual Windows XP machine. That works quite well. I don't really play games etc.

I am running Parallels Desktop 3.0 Build 5608 on an Intel Macbook Pro -- Leopard 10.5.3.

The native LCD resolution is 1440x900.

Now I am considering playing some old PC game titles of mine in some Windows 95/98 virtual machine. What is bugging me a little is that good old FULL screen mode for these titles is not possible. I mean ... YES Parallels Desktop FULL screen mode DO work but it isn't FULL LCD SIZE display. Would be size that it either maximize VM screen or maybe ugly stretch it to fit LCD.

Right now, I basically play in a rather small 640x480 square in the large 1440x900 screen.

Is there an easy or not so easy Parallels-Mac OSX hack to change Mac's screen resolution based on the virtual machine?

The LEFT-CTRL + Wheel Mouse would pretty much do exactly but once active you cannot use mouse to point and click. If it could keep ZOOM and allow mouse...that would be fantastic. I guess that is mostly a Mac OS like question.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  2. Rastikan

Rastikan Junior Member

OH! Mac OS X keeps on happy surprising me!

In System Prefs->Mouse & Keyb->Mouse I can set the zoomed screen only to follow mouse when mouse is close to corner. That makes playing those older games quite playable and really full screen.