IIS Site Root in Shared Folder

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by fruvos, Sep 11, 2006.

1. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

IUSR_machine name should be in that folder ACL with at least r-x permissions.

Also filemon and regmon from sysinternals.com are good friends
    from Mac OS fs_usage is good friend to trace permissions

2. rafudu

rafudu Bit poster

How? Can you explain it to me?

Thanks!

3. John@Parallels

Filemon shows permissions on file system (Access denied etc)
    Regmon to registry hives (Access denied etc)
    fs_usage example
    sudo fs_usage -e -f filesys|grep -v CACHE_HIT|grep -v grep|grep -v mds| grep -i parallels
    shows example how to trace Parallels Desktop application and files accessed with comment

You will see access denied permissions so you need to assign permissions to files,folders , registry hives

4. rafudu

rafudu Bit poster

Ok. I executed this command and accessed the site via IE. In terminal, the following appears:

0.000176 Parallels
    08:10:11 getattrlist cations/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Parallels-Win.icns 0.000022 Parallels
    08:10:11 getattrlist cations/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Parallels-Win.icns 0.000020 Parallels
    08:10:11 getattrlist cations/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Parallels-Win.icns 0.000016 Parallels
    08:10:11 open cations/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Parallels-Win.icns 0.000027 Parallels
    08:10:11 open cations/Parallels/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Resources/Parallels-Win.icns 0.000021 Parallels

and:

0.000084 Parallels
    08:11:40 statfs Windows XP 1/winxp.hdd/winxp.hdd.0.{5fbaabe3-6958-40ff-92a7-860e329aab41}.hds 0.000038 Parallels

How do I assign those permissions?

Thanks!

5. John@Parallels

I provided example for Parallels Desktop Applications, but you need to trace shared folders, also try first filemon

6. rafudu

rafudu Bit poster

Done!

Apparently, Windows gets lost dealing with the OS X filesystem and stuff. The trick is to copy your site files to windows, share that folder (give everyone full access) , and edit from OS X. That's the best solution i've found so far.

7. Upton O'Good

Upton O'Good Member

It was in IIS 5.0. I don't know about 5.1 specifically, but it would seem odd if they removed it.

8. RAFAELE

RAFAELE Bit poster

File Sharing through OS X works

Hi for what it's worth i have a solution that has fixed this issue for me. I hope this helps someone because this was very frustrating for me.Let's say all your websites are stored in 'clients' in your os x home folder, and you want to share your clients folder with parallels:

Problem:
    If you select the share Parallels created for you, e.g. //.psf/clients and use that as your shared folder in IIS, you'll get all kinds of permissions issues.

1.) Turn on bridged networking.
    2.) Goto os x's preferences and turn on file sharing, select that clients folder and turn on SMB sharing for that folder
    3.) Go back to parallels, My Computer, My Network Places
    4.) You'll see the shares you created, navigate to that clients folder and copy the address
    5.) Paste that address into IIS
    6.) Go back to parallels. Hit the start button / run / type 'cmd' to bring up a command prompt. When it comes up type 'ipconfig'. Note the IP address.
    7.) Back to os x, safari: type in that address. That should work!

Make sure the account you 'connect as' is matched up to the account in os x's preferences sharing.
    ======================

Thanks lgriffin! I was having the same issue with IIS and mounted PD shared drives. I followed your suggestion and it works great