Parallels Host-Guest and NAT adapters get private IP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by HZC, Aug 11, 2008.

?

I've had this issue too...

1. Just once. After fixing it, it never came back.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. It happens every few weeks or so.

66.7%
  3. Never had this issue.

33.3%
  4. My solution is to not use Parallels in host or sharing mode

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HZC

HZC Member

I use Parallels with Windows XP in shared networking mode. This means that my Windows XP gets an IP address from the Parallels NAT adapter on the Mac side.

Every now and again, both my Host-Guest and NAT adapters, which are set to be configured via DHCP, have private IP addresses (169.) instead of the usual 10. addresses.

A reboot does NOT fix the problem. I have to uninstall Parallels and re-install it to rectify the issue.

1. Is there a permanent fix for this?
    2. Is there a service I can restart without re-installing Parallels? I've seen

sudo killall -HUP pvsnatd

in other threads. This looks related; would this have any effect? Would the service automatically restart after it is 'killed'?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Antivirus on Mac OS side, Wireless USB cards, Keyspan can lead to such situation

3. HZC

HZC Member

None of those apply to me.

4. John@Parallels

Hard to say in this case, the software list installed on mac would help to problem, but I do not recomend to paste profile here.
    you can create in support , also check are you starting Mac OS when some USB devices are connected (I am not talking about printer, mouse or keyboard)

5. HZC

HZC Member

Hi John, I usually just put my MBP to sleep. I only shut down completely and/or reboot when there is a problem. Usually, at the end of the work day, I quit Parallels, which hibernates the VM, then later on, I put the MBP to sleep.

Things may stay in working order for days or weeks, but occasionally, the NAT and Host-Guest adapters will lose their IP addresses and acquire private ones. At that point, even rebooting the MBP does not help.

The only USB device I'm using at this point is my iPhone; that's connected to the Mac side very frequently.

The next time it happens, I'll try

and see if that helps. Other than that, my only remedy at this point is to re-install Parallels. Is there any kind of log or dump I can produce for technical support when this problem occurs again, and before I reinstall Parallels?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  6. John@Parallels

Yes, Please create ticket in support and let me know ticket id, we will send you list of required logs

7. HZC

HZC Member

Solved!

So, this problem didn't occur for all of September and then reared its ugly head again today! Fortunately
    Code:
    works! After issuing the command it takes about 10 seconds, then I have valid IPs again.