Please Help....memory Allocation Issues

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Japan740, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Japan740

Japan740 Bit poster

I just had Leopard installed and am now trying to install parallels. I do NOT have the boot camp thing and I am having memory allocation issue (seems to be same as every else) I have had this program for almost a year and have never gotten it to work. I am desperate....PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME!!! :(

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What is error?
    And do you have at least 5 gb free space on Mac HD?

3. Japan740

Japan740 Bit poster

I have 15.59 gb available. The error message is as follows: Insufficient memory allocated for Windows Vista (192 MB). The minimum amount of memory required to successfully run Windows Vista is 256 MB.

So I adjusted it to 256 MB and got this: The memory size specified (256 MB) exceeds the recommended maximum of 192 MB. You must reduce the memory size otherwise you will not be able to start the virtual machine.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

For Vista I would recommend at least 512 MB RAM. I find it hard to believe that parallels would recommend 192 for Vista. And in fact, it doesn't, if I make a Vista installation under Parallels, Parallels set the RAM to 512 MB.

Please use the latest version of Parallels (version 3, build 5608), you can download it from the trial page.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  5. Japan740

Japan740 Bit poster

I copy and pasted the error message. I downloaded that version and it is still not working. I've had the program for a year now and it has NEVER worked. It always gave me that stupid message.

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

(Here we go again). Did you uninstalled he previous version according to this article?

It hasn't worked for you, but it works for others, so something's not quite right in your system.

Also, are you using Boot Camp?

But first, increase memory to 512, 192 or 256 is not enough for Vista.

7. Japan740

Japan740 Bit poster

I had a complete hard drive clean out. My Mac was with Apple for a week getting my hard drive cleaned and having Leopard installed so basically I am using a brand new computer. I am not using Boot camp but I did previously before the clean. Finally, I would love to increase my memory for Vista but as I mentioned before I keep getting this error message: The memory size specified (256 MB) exceeds the recommended maximum of 192 MB. You must reduce the memory size otherwise you will not be able to start the virtual machine.

8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Start Parallels from the Application folder and not the shortcut to the VM.

9. unused_user_name

unused_user_name Pro

Just out of curiosity, how much RAM is in your Mac ? (Apple menu->"about this Mac")

What make/model is the Mac, and what version of Mac OSX is it running?

10. jwjohnson99

jwjohnson99 Member

There are two places to set memory size.

First you need to go into the preferences under the Parallels Desktop menu bar entry and set the maximum size memory you could use. Make sure it is at least as big as what you want to use for Vista. You can specify an amount, or there is an Auto setting - I think with selected the amount set aside for Parallels will vary as needed - but I'm not sure.

Second go into the settings for your virtual machine. (It can't be running or suspended.) Set the size of memory you want there. (512 sounds like a minimum for Vista). Then start the virtual machine and you should be ok.

If you don't have enough memory (RAM) installed in your Mac there may not be enough to run a vm regardless of your settings.

If you just had Leopard installed, make sure software update has run and you have installed the Leopard updates that are available.

If those things don't help, uninstall Parallels Desktop using the method linked to above and then reinstall following the procedure outlined there.

Jeff

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Specimen's solution should work in most cases, if other things are already done