RC2 broke swiss french keyboard. ARGH...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cedric, Jun 2, 2006.

1. cedric

cedric Bit poster

RC1 worked perfectly, however, with RC2, I'm unable to type
    any keys requiring the ALT-GR key (like backslash and the @ key).
    Needless to say, this is completely unusable.
    Cedric

2. PetraHonig

PetraHonig Junior Member

German too

Same thing on German keyboard. Alt Gr does no longer work but did work on RC1.
    I have to press Alt and Control to get the Alt Gr functionality.

3. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven

As far as I have understood these topics (user a belgian-french keyboard here), this is expected (using ctrl-alt to emulate AltGr for composition of extended characters).

It all comes down to some impossibility to distinguish between the left and right modifiers. Such that Parallels can not give a different meaning to the left alt and to the right alt. For us users of extended keyboards, we would really need that : have the left Mac Alt key act as Alt in Windows and have the right Mac Alt key act as AltGr in Windows. But it looks like it isn't possible for now, so we have to use Ctrl-Alt to emulate AltGr.

Note that in RC1, with the virtual machine settings set to OS Type == Windows there was another bug: the Alt key alone was mapped to AltGr. That's why you found it easier to compose extended characters. But you had NO Alt key anymore, so couldn't access menus for instance, things like pressing Alt-E to get to Edit menu in some application for instance. This had to be fixed, and they fixed it in RC2.

4. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Oliver is exactly right here.
    Alt+Ctrl is the best way for now to simulate AltGr - it all really comes from the impossibility to distinguish between the left and right modifiers on Mac keyboard.

5. cedric

cedric Bit poster

Hmm, Ok, Thanks. I guess I can leave with the CTRL+ALT.
    However, the issue does not seem to be limited to Mac keyboard:
    I've just plugged a PC USB keyboard, with a real ALT-GR key,
    and it does not work any better..... So I guess there is still a bug.....

6. inki

inki Bit poster

Unfortunately there are situations where this is not sufficient. I have to use Windows to establish a Citrix connection to a remote network where I'm running some X11 windows trough Exceed from a remote Unix system.
    In this situation Exceed is doing its very own keyboard mapping and this only works for AltGr if a "real" AltGr scancode is received by Exceed. This is now no longer the case. Even if I had to klick on a screen symbol this would be better than what we have now - since there is no way besides copy and paste to get special chars like @ or | into these remote unix windows now.

I really hope for a solution.

Ingo

Last edited: Jul 14, 2006