Had it with this GARBAGE software!

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jchris91739, Aug 23, 2008.

1. jchris91739

jchris91739 Junior Member

Despite following the exact instructions from Parallels for the installation of Windows XP SP3 to the letter, I now have the issue described here:

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=21187

Parallels proposes the following fix:

http://kb.parallels.com/en/5447

It is is extremely frustrating to do everything properly, follow your instructions, and still end up with a non-booting system. The worst part is after upgrading to SP3 it WORKED for about a week, with multiple reboots between Boot Camp and Mac/Parallels, and back again. I shut down Parallels normally, rebooted to Boot Camp and BAM. Your software is so fragile and can easily make Windows fail to boot in any number of fascinating ways.

I'm not willing to spend yet another weekend re-installing Windows. Just because you have provided a fix does not make it OK! Shame on you for not testing your software. I am not your beta tester!

As soon as I recover my system your software is GONE. The competition cannot be any worse.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

It looks you are only user, whom fix doesn't help,
    Probably Windows itself is not working correct,also I suppose you still continue to update Windows under Parallels

3. jchris91739

I think you mis-understand me. I am not suggesting that your fix does not work. It's obvious from reading these forums that English is not your first language (don't take that as an insult - it's obvious you are trying, and your English is certainly far better than any second language I can write in).

I am not angry because your fix does not work. I am angry at the time it will take me to implement it. Your company seems to think it is OK for things to break, as long as they are eventually able to supply a fix. It is not OK - it should not break in the first place.

For the record, I have not attempted your fix yet, because it requires a slipstreamed SP3 disk. I cannot make that disk at the moment, because my only PC (my Mac) currently cannot boot because of Parallels.

4. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

For the record XP SP3 and Vista SP1 makes some subtle changes in Windows that required not only Parallels but Apple (Boot Camp) and VMWare (Fusion) to release new versions just to adress those, it's not a Parallels specific problem, the thing you can criticize (and I do) Parallels for is that, unlike the other two companies that had updates before SP3 release, Parallels only released a compatible version (5600 the first one) about 2 or 3? weeks AFTER SP3 was officially released (released as a download, not thru Automatic Update, that was later), this was months ago.

You can't expect to run Windows on a Mac and be shielded from Microsoft's 'issues', Parallels can't make those go away, what it can do is being on the look out for these issues and quickly address them.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  5. jchris91739

Just to be clear, I did not "break" my computer by attempting to install SP3 prior to the appropriate updates from Parallels and Apple. I am not a bleeding edge user.

On the contrary - I deliberately waited quite a while after the release of SP3 while Parallels and Apple got everything fixed. I followed the discussion on these forums. I had the latest Boot Camp, and the appropriate Parallels build. It STILL broke.

The only reason I would even LOOK at updating Parallels is because I hope they will eventually release a build that addresses the issue where the CPU is pegged at 100% when a Mac is brought back up from sleep mode until a Parallels dialog box is dismissed. (they haven't). A complete killer on laptops because it absolutely destroys the battery life.

6. jchris91739

Parallels should not say "we have it fixed and ready, go ahead and install SP3. Here are the instructions." if their software is not ready.

They should say "Don't upgrade to SP3 yet. We'll let you know when we are ready".

Unfortunately, they are doing the opposite.

7. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You misread me, 5608 IS ready for SP3. In fact I use it with SP3.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  8. jchris91739

Great! Then perhaps you would like to speculate on why I am having this issue, since I specifically went to 5608 prior to installing SP3, per instructions from Parallels.

9. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

There are numerous variables to the problem that aren't necessarily related to Parallels.

Want speculation? For instance, the Boot Camp patch from Apple fails to apply under certain situations, either with an error or silently, check Apple forums.

10. jchris91739

"There are numerous variables to the problem that aren't necessarily related to Parallels."

Perhaps, but it seems obvious to me that Parallels is the issue. SP3 / Bootcamp 2.1 works great, I booted back and forth between Mac and Bootcamp multiple times just to check. It only fails once introducing Parallels into the mix.

11. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I think that files Parallels is putting everytime you start Vm are got corrupted,
    Try this Configuration Editor - Hard Disk 1- Advanced - Clear