Cannot install Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by etrigan63, Aug 24, 2008.

1. etrigan63

etrigan63 Bit poster

Went through the setup wizard to create an Ubuntu Server (8.04.1) on my Mac Pro (OS X 10.5.4) and I got the following error when I booted the VM for the first time (see attached screenshot):

Was there something I did wrong? I have also attached a screenshot of the settings.

Carlos

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

What kernel you selected to install?
    xen?

3. etrigan63

etrigan63 Bit poster

Default kernel. Just hit enter when the Ubuntu screen came up. What should I use? This is the server version of Ubuntu which has no GUI. I haven't found a wealth of info regarding the tricks to installing this.

For the record, I have tried this with the noapic and noacpi keys and still get the error shown in the first post. How do I install the system with the linux-virtual kernel if I can't get the silly thing to boot in the first place? All of the instructions I've seen deal with a bootable system.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  4. etrigan63

etrigan63 Bit poster

BTW, there is a bug in the wizard when selecting an ISO file as a CD-ROM. The dialog box comes up but the wizard takes focus away and does not allow you to select an ISO file. The only way I can select an ISO file is to deselect the "boot <vm name>" option at the end and then specify the ISO image in the configuration screen.

5. etrigan63

etrigan63 Bit poster

OK, solved it myself.

Here's how:
    1. Create Ubuntu VM using wizard.
    2. In More Options, uncheck Start Ubuntu Linux.
    3. Before starting the VM, set boot order to CDROM - Hard Drive - Floppy.
    4. Install Ubuntu using whatever features you want.
    5. After Ubuntu reboots, load Rescue Mode from install CD (or image).
    6. Launch a Command Shell from /dev/sda1
    7. Type apt-get install linux-virtual
    8. Type exit
    9. Reboot your VM

It should come up normally now.
    [*]

6. mr_the_plague

mr_the_plague Bit poster

/dev/sda1 Not found

Hi I tried your workaround for getting Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 LTS Server to install on my copy of Parallels Desktop but I ran into the following error when I booted into the Rescue Disk step and tried to get a command prompt:

No usable shell was found on your root file system(/dev/sda1)

This error was in a giant red screen that said "No shell found in /target" above the error. I am very new to Linux so I am not sure what I did that could have caused the error. The only additional software I installed during the OS install process was the LAMP package.

Thanks for any help you can give

7. John@Parallels

Seems installation is corrupted, try to download another ISO image, and make sure you checked it against md5

8. mr_the_plague

mr_the_plague Bit poster

Is is possible to get two iso files that do not have checksums? I have downloaded from two different mirrors and neither has had a checksum that Disk Utility could identify.

9. John@Parallels