Can't boot - "autochk program not found - skipping autocheck" after XP SP3

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Al_Q, May 26, 2008.

1. Levent Colak

Levent Colak Bit poster

Well the think is when you sleapstream the SP3 into the bootable CD and do a repair how is it possible to install boot camp 2.1 before the SP3 update. Thats what it says in the link ! Or am I missing something here?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You will install SP3 again after Boot Camp driver update

3. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

What I would do, I would download Boot Camp 2.1 patch from apple's site, put it on an usb drive or better yet on the Windows disk (using Parallels if it works), after I've done the repair install I would boot into safe mode (the Boot Camp drivers wouldn't be loaded) and installed the patch.

I would do this because I've no idea what kind of mayhem it would be to run Windows XP SP3 with the unupdated drivers.

And yeah, just to be safe, install SP3 again.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2008
  4. John@Parallels

5. Levent Colak

Levent Colak Bit poster

Well I just finish trying the exact steps but no luck. By the way I'm not getting the error code ,just the "autochk ....." part.
    Any suggestions?

6. John@Parallels

Did you perform repair with SP3 integrated

7. Levent Colak

Levent Colak Bit poster

Yes like in the other article first I prepare the bootable CD and then I do the repair.

8. jessem

jessem Bit poster

Tried KB 5447, 5446, and 5138

OK. Read all three KB articles since everything is so scattered. I created the XP SP 3 CD and restored Windows.

Now when I go to complete step 4 in KB 5447: Uninstall Boot Camp from Add/Remove programs. I CAN'T. It gives me an error: "Fatal Error Occured During Installation". I even tried to Uninstall it in Parallels and got the same thing. (Note that I only have an option for "Boot Camp Services" in the Add/Remove programs, plus a number of the Apple Drivers. If there's supposed to be another option I don't have it.)

So to recap:

I can't uninstall Bootcamp 2.1 (in Windows). I can't repair it. AND I can't reinstall BootCamp 2.1. I can't get past step 4 in KB 5447.

Please advise. My patience with Parallels is getting thin.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2008
  9. John@Parallels

About this problem, it is better to try contacting Apple support, may be they can give some advices on error

10. Levent Colak

Levent Colak Bit poster

I have two more question, Should I uninstall SP3 through parallels before the repair, and uninstall parallels after the repair and reinstall ?
    And another thing is as I said before I am not getting the error:
    "STOP: c000021a {Fatal System Error} The Session Manager Initialization
    system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc000003a
    (0x00000000 0x00000000)"
    does this means something?
    Thanks

11. John@Parallels

Do not try to uninstall SP3 from Parallels, from Parallels side only clean Boot Camp information,also make sure to install Boot Camp update after repair and install SP3 again
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/5447

12. Levent Colak

Levent Colak Bit poster

Well, finally I managed to solve the problem but dont ask me how b/c I dont know :) Since I dont have any other solution, I keep trying the solution posted here, brute force ! After my 3rd try it worked.
    The only difference MAY BE, I shut down and reopen the parallels at least 3 times in my last try. And then keep my fingers crossed and restart the boot camp. Thank God it worked.
    Thanks for everybody's help and spending time for the replies.

13. larlew

larlew Bit poster

Clearing Parallels info from the bootcamp partition

FYI: Smudges fix worked for me.

To clear the Parallels info from the bootcamp partition.
    Stop the virtual machine.
    Select menu Edit->Virtual Machine
    Select the resource Hard Disk 1 and select Advanced Options (top right)
    There you will see a Clear button that clears the info from the Bootcamp partition.

That stopped the autochk error for me. I had to reinstall Parallels once more on my Mac.
    Now I can start windows XP SP3 from both Boot Camp and Parallels again.

14. cmore70

cmore70 Bit poster

I have a slight twist on all of this. I am also check the autochk BSD. I try to slipstream XP SP3 using the repair install and the installation freezes when it tries to find drivers for the Mac ATI graphics card. The internal keyboard and mouse freeze as well as all of the USB ports so I cannot use external input mice or keyboards.

I have a macbook pro running bootcamp in one partiion and Leopard in the other.

HELP

15. John@Parallels

Do you mean you tried to perform repair from Parallels?

16. cmore70

cmore70 Bit poster

No- I tried to repair boot camp from the CD and it gets hung up on the install at about 34 minutes when trying to install ATI drivers from my XP tmp folder. I just tried to repair from parallels and that works but now I still cannot repair or get into bootcamp. Any ideas?

17. John@Parallels

Try to uninstall ATI drivers from Parallels and then, try to repair from Boot Camp

18. cmore70

cmore70 Bit poster

19. TimeLordBob

TimeLordBob Bit poster

KB #5447 Does not work for me

The problem I had was that Parallels ran XP SP3 fine but I could not longer directly boot Windows without getting the Autochk error.

I`ve followed the instructions listed in KB #5447 and after reinstalling XP and bootcamp I was able to get the machine to boot properly using Windows XP SP3. However, once I clear the Parallels info from the disk and then reinstall the Parallel tools, I could no longer start windows via bootcamp (I get the Autochk not found error again) though it runs fine under Parallels.

20. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

Do you have:

BootCamp 2.1 installed?
    Parallels 3 build 5608 with the corresponding Parallels Tools installed?