Windows XP Pro activation problems

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by BobPulido, Apr 23, 2008.

1. BobPulido

BobPulido Bit poster

I have a new copy of XP Pro. I downloaded the trial version of Parallels today and installed it on my Mac with no problems. Installing Windows went smoothly until the activation screen. I first activated it through the net. The screen stated that Windows successfully activated. However, rather than proceeding to log on, the system began shutting down and told me I needed to activate Windows giving me the choice of whether or not I want to activate. If I choose not to activate, it begins to shut down again and then the activation pop-up come back.

I then went back to the activate screen and choose the call in option. Windows gave me a new number which entered successfully and activated again only to go to the same pop-up above.

I did nothing to customize the installation. I let Parallels do the express.

Any help?

2. Dug

Dug Bit poster

Bob - I just went through EXACTLY the same thing. Now I am in this endless loop of Activation screens that tell you the product has been activated, logs off, logs back on and asks if I want to activate.

Any suggestions anyone?

3. BobPulido

BobPulido Bit poster

Doug - I finally got it to work. First I called Microsoft and got a new activation number using their automated system. When you press the telephone activation option you should see a long line of numbers in the middle of the screen. They will ask for these numbers.

I then uninstalled Windows completely and then reinstalled the system from scratch. It worked like a charm. The system is up and running.

Good luck!

4. Dug

Dug Bit poster

Bob - I followed your advice and got it to work as well. I did a complete uninstall and reinstall and activated using the phone activation rather than the internet activation. Thank you for getting back to me (us).

Doug

5. Ronlap

Ronlap Junior Member

How do you uninstall and reinstall Windows in Parallels? I don't see a way to do this.

Ron

6. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

You don't uninstall, you pop the windows cd in and start a fresh installation and it will wipe out the previous one.

7. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

You can uninstall only Windows if OS was upgraded from previous OS, like Windows 98 to Windows XP, and then back to Windows 98. Windows Vista downgrade to Windows XP is not supported

Last edited: Aug 30, 2008
  8. Specimen

Specimen Product Expert

That would be downgrading not uninstalling.