Help needed - Need to access Host Website from VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by wuf810, Jun 1, 2006.

1. wuf810

wuf810 Bit poster

Hi

Just got Parallels up and running with Windows XP Pro.

Have chosen Bridging Over Airport and currently my VM has a unique internal IP address of 10.0.1.203. Access to the internet is working well etc.

However, if I try to access a web site I have running on my Host OS (i.e. Mac OS X on the same machine 10.0.1.202), I get a timeout error. Accessing the router on 10.0.1.1 works OK...

What do I need to do to get this working? One of my primary reasons for looking at Parallels is so I can test Web site's I'm building with IE etc on Windows.

Anyone any suggestions?

Thanks in advance, Michael.

2. wuf810

wuf810 Bit poster

BTW - I thought using Host Only might be the solution, but it is greyed out in my settings. Anyone any ideas why?

3. wuf810

wuf810 Bit poster

Sorted

Can't believe no was able to help me with this.

Anyway it is sorted.

To re-enable Host Only in the settings, you have to make sure that the Network Adaptor for parallels is set to DHCP in System preferences/Network

To be able to access a website running on the host, you have to use Host Only and share the Internet connection to Ethernet Adaptor 2 (the parallels one).

Why? I've no idea. I would have thought bridged should have worked as well. To be honest I still don't understand the differece between the two available network modes - the explanations aren't clear to me.

Regards, Michael.

4. dylansm

dylansm Member

You can use bridged networking and access your host websites by your computer name too. I do it all the time.

You might want to relax a little on the time -- it's only been two hours since you posted.

5. Matthew

Matthew Bit poster

I agree. I'm not absolutely clueless when it comes to networking (though it is something I know less about than other areas of technology) but the explanations don't quite make sense to me.

Anyway, I have Host Only working and I can access the internet through internet sharing, but I have no idea how to access my OS X Apache website. On RC1 I just entered the IP address - on RC2 I can't even find the IP address. ifconfig in a terminal gives my guest OS the IP of 192.168.2.4, and I've pinged all the 192.168.2.*s I can think of, but none of them can be found. Any ideas, anyone? (Sorry to hijack a thread, but better one thread answering questions on the same problem than two.)

6. dylansm

dylansm Member

Using Host Only, you should be able to view your OS X Apache sites by going to 10.37.129.2
    If you go to your PD preferences, under DHCP it shows the IP range for Host Only starting at 10.37.129.1