Parallels Hangs after resizing window in guest XP OS

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by Zendog, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Zendog

Zendog Junior Member

Does anyone have a fix for Parallels hangs after resizing windows? Every time I re-size my "Outlook" window, parallels hangs with the only the little beach ball spinning on the gust machine, once this occurs, the only way out is to force close Parallels and restart parallels and the VM. The host CPU is pegged at 100%. I believe I saw something noted about this on the last release notes but cannot seem to see any solutions in the forums. What can be done to correct this annoying situation? I am getting real tired of restarting the VM every time I change a window size. This happens when running in coherence mode. MAC OS X 10.5.4 / XP SP3 2560x1600 DL DVI 30" Cinema Display. Is anyone else having this issue? Is there already another thread or fix for this issue?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I guess this is the key of problems DVI 30" Cinema Display
    Increase Video memory for Vm to 64 mb,
    Another problem is that there are too many graphic intensive applications are running on Mac side, try also to check situation, when nothing is running on Mac OS

3. Zendog

Zendog Junior Member

There are no graphic intensive applications running on the MAC, actually nothing else is running on the MAC. The VM video memory is already at 64. I can recreate the problem "at will" simply be resizing a window while running in coherence mode.

4. John@Parallels

if build is 5608, try to decrease resolution and check at which resolution it stops hanging

5. Zendog

Zendog Junior Member

The build level is 5608. Decrease of the VM resolution has no affect. I did find in further playing around with this that if the host resolution is set low at the VM start time like 1024X960 then the display can be adjusted without the hang? This however is a pain in the rear to do this each time and is not an acceptable solution to the problem.

6. John@Parallels

Yes, this is exactly what I mean - high resolution on Mac causes high CPU usage, and workaround is to decrease resolution, I meant on Mac OS

7. Zendog

Zendog Junior Member

Ok so getting back to the original issue, is there a fix for this problem? Running my host at half of it's native resolution is not an acceptable solution.

8. John@Parallels

Workaround here to use Windows in Window mode, or full screen on another monitor in full screen
    We apologize for inconvenience, developers are working to resolve this