'The application "AppName" cannot be launched. -10810"

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cooldude, Jun 2, 2006.

1. cooldude

cooldude Bit poster

Hi

I have just started to get this problem over the last week, intel iMac 17" with latest QuickTime updates and System Updates.

I have not been fully able to identify where this problem arises but using Activity monitor I have seen this every time I get the above message.

87 instances of smbd running - all failed - all have the parent process of launchd all owned by wheel (0).

At first I thought this may be a problem with VirtueDesktop, but have eliminated that as a possible cause.

Currently the only way out of this is to reboot, when the iMac may work without any problems for upto 18 hours.

As I'm writing this the smbd process is again clocking up instances and its up to 86, looks to me like its a stack overflow problem, but I really don't know what's going on. In the meantime I'm thinking about removing Parallels and see if the problem continues.

2. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Bit poster

You can fix this issue by disabling "Windows Sharing" in the Sharing tab of System Preferences.

3. cooldude

cooldude Bit poster

Just checked and windows sharing is not enabled. Thanks for replying though.

4. cooldude

cooldude Bit poster

Working on the basis that it may be a corrupt preference, I've deleted prefs and restarted and made sure that windows sharing is off. I'll see what happens.

5. ortizeg

ortizeg Bit poster

Since I have been having the same problems, I took the same steps.

Disabled Windows Sharing
    Trashed ALL Preferences

We'll see how it goes...I hope we can figure this thing out because it's starting to get pretty frustrating to have to restart just to get the computer in working condition after using parallels...

6. cooldude

cooldude Bit poster

Some further info:
    Apple posted a "fix" to startup problems on their knowledge base.
    So I tried the following.
    1.Startup in safe mode, remove parallels folder from /Library/StartupItems
    2.Download and reapply Quicktime 7.1.1 from stand alone installer.
    3.Reboot
    4.Turn on Windows Sharing and put Parallels folder back into /Library/StartupItems
    At this point I got a system message saying that the permissions needed to be fixed for the parallels items that I had just put back, so I clicked fix and then it restarted.
    5.Now watching my Activity monitor - Processes to see if anything strange starts happening. Its only been 18 minutes so far but everything is looking Ok.

7. cooldude

cooldude Bit poster

Well adter just 1 hour, 84 failed smbd processes and no usable memory left, so had to restart.
    Short term solution is going to be to turn off windows sharing, but this needs to be fixed as its clearly a conflict with something in the parallels folder in the StartupItems folder.

8. jdogg707

jdogg707 Bit poster

I seem to be suffering from the same issues since my move to RC2. I have disabled Windows file sharing on my mac, deleted the share on my Windows VM I was using to access files from my mac, and am still having an issue with runaway samba processes! Anyone know of a short term solution to this issue?

9. ortizeg

ortizeg Bit poster

So far I have run all day today using Parallels without any issue...This is after I disabled Windows Sharing. Hopefully this will continue to work well. I plan on reintroducing VirtueDesktop tomorrow to see if the problem returns. I thought it might be a conflict between the two, but who knows.

Cooldude, you said that you get a whole bunch of smdb instances? I still have seen this in my processes. Even when I view All Processes and filter them...So I'm not really sure which process is the one using up my memory...

10. cooldude

cooldude Bit poster

ortizeg, since turing off the windows sharing in the mac prefs, this runaway process has dissappeared, so fingers crossed this will be sorted soon.

By the way, I'm running 0.52r155 of VirtueDesktops without any problems, and according to the VirtueDesktops board, code has been changed in VirtueDesktops to allow parallels to work fully.

11. MacBookPro

MacBookPro Bit poster

I had the same problem. I tried to reboot in safe mode, but instead of releasing the Shift key after the grey Apple appeared I pressed it until the computer shutted down (the gear turned for several minutes). I then rebooted it normally, and since then (a few hours ago) I haven't seen any smbd process. The system is running as usual: very smoothly. Windows sharing and Internet sharing are both activated, and I can connect to the internet from Windows and MacOSX. I am running in Host-only networking mode. Hope this can help solve the issue once for all......:)

12. cooldude

cooldude Bit poster

Some update info.

I'm still getting this problem if I turn on windows sharing in the mac prefs. This is now in the latest version of parallels desktop 2.1.

Please help, I need to be able to access a windows server from both my mac OS X as well as from the parallels desktop WIn XP.

13. luz

luz Member

I think I found a way to cure thjis

I had exactly the same when upgrading from RC2 to GA (and similar problems when going from Beta5 to 6 and from 6 to RC2).

I think I found that this (many dead smbd), but as well a lot of other networking problems, is caused by an unclean update of the Parallels Host-Guest adapter (en2). It looks as if Windows Sharing is using some leftovers of the previous version's en2 or something like that.

Anyway, I could completely cure it every time as follows:
    1) uninstall the previous Parallels version (only the app, of course I kept the VMs!)
    2) disable Windows Sharing and Internet Sharing
    3) manually delete the "Parallels Host-Guest adapter" in System Prefs/Network. It might not go away immediately because it might be still in use by the system.
    4) reboot the mac (this is essential to clean up the en2 leftovers). Check in System Prefs if the adapter is really gone now.
    5) install the new Parallels version
    6) start a VM
    7) If there are error messages about missing Host-Guest adapter when trying to start the VM, edit the network adapter settings of the VM, switch it from Host-only to bridged, save it, edit it again, switch back to Host-only (this will re-create the Host-Guest adapter), save again
    8) If you had custom settings for the Host-Guest adapter (such as a static IP), you need to apply them again - and in all different Network Locations if you have more than one location.
    9) re-enable Windows Sharing and Internet Sharing if you need them.

After this procedure, I got every update to work perfectly with Windows and Internet Sharing. Every time I tried without it (I'm lazy and hoped it would eventually work the simple way with the next new version...), and just ran the installer, I ran into stange networking issues sooner or later (like the many dead smbd's for the latest upgrade from RC2 to GA).

Hope this helps.

14. cooldude

cooldude Bit poster

Thanks Luz*

Appears to have done the trick, although I noted that the new uninstaller does remove the Parallels Host Guest adapter itself. Have been up and running for 2.2 hours without anything strange happening yet. :)

15. mmak

mmak Member

This is a nasty bug indeed. not sure if it is only related to paralels as it has been mentioned elsewhere on tne net. On my system, it started with parallels since I use smb to do filesharing. Ended up uninstalling with the unistaller, but then had to delete the smb.conf file in /etc and reboot. Had to try this multiple times, finally things worked out. For those who get the zillion smbd processes, try the following from the terminal
    sudo killall smbd
    this will kill all those smbd processes (if you're lucky enough to get to the terminal).
    Mike