Windows Vista Beta 2 under PD RC2...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by swotam, Jun 1, 2006.

1. swotam

swotam Bit poster

I took a shot at installing Windows Vista Beta 2 under PD RC2 today. Short story, it doesn't work :eek:, although that didn't surprise me too much.

The question that stems from this is "When will PD be providing a ACPI compatible BIOS inside the VM"? This is what is causing the initial issues with Vista, since the installer dies shortly after starting with the error 0xc0000225 and the statement 'Windows failed to load because the firmware (BIOS) is not ACPI compatible."

Although Vista is not a supported OS at the moment, it seems obvious that a lack of an ACPI BIOS will cause problems sooner rather than later.

It should be noted that VMware is able to install the current Vista beta's on their supported platforms, presumably because they do have an ACPI compatible BIOS in their VM's. I don't know if this is a Intel Mac type of issue, or simply a feature that PD doesn't have yet, but regardless the desire to install Vista will continue to grow and this lack of support will need to be fixed.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. rjgebis

rjgebis Hunter

Give developers a break :). They are doing fine job. I totally understand your point and I am on the same boat that you are. Wish I could run Vista. But RC2 still have some issues that they need to spend their time. For example USB 1.1 (or perhaps 2.0), iSight if all possible. One thing @ a time and I am sure these guys will get us there. :)

3. wesley

wesley Pro

Do a search first. This ACPI issue has been talked about before. ;)

4. rAph

rAph Bit poster

I don't think it would be worth running Vista in a VM, as there is no graphical acceleration. Might as well stick to XP...