Big delay on Windows Welcome Screen

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rAph, Jun 3, 2006.

1. rAph

rAph Bit poster

I don't know if this is a Parallels issue or a Windows issue, but when I start the computer up, it boots up really fast to the Windows welcome screen, but then it hangs there for at least a minute. I've had Parallels since Beta 2 and it showed this behavior ever since I installed Windows XP. Does anyone know what is causing the hang?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2006
  2. jupiter

jupiter Bit poster

I have the same problem.

During log in, the welcome screen hangs for about a 40 secs to a minute during win XP boot up.
    I can't figure out why.

Guest OS: Win XP SP2 set with 256 mb ram
    Primary OS: OS X 10.4.6
    Macbook pro, 2.0 Ghz, 2 gb ram

3. jkragenb

jkragenb Bit poster

Ditto. Not a problem in the betas, becam a problem in RC1 for me.

4. jdogg707

jdogg707 Bit poster

This became an issue for me in RC2, disabled USB support and the issue went away.

2.0GHz iMac, 2GB RAM
    Windows XP Pro SP2 w/512MB RAM

5. Djoh

Djoh Member

This was a gigantic problem for me in RC1 only, but now it's snappy and flawless in RC2.

MiniMac Duo w/1Gig
    Win XP SP 2 w/480Megs

6. rbushway

rbushway Bit poster

I've noticed the same thing - started occuring with rc1. the earlier beta versions didn't have that problem

7. volcs0

volcs0 Junior Member

I disabled USB support and it helped a bit. But I still get a long (20 second) delay at the Welcome Screen. Very annoying - especially when I'm trying to demo Parallels for someone.

MacBook Pro 2.16
    1 gb RAM
    Parallels Build 1848

8. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

If you disable both your network and USB and reboot, then shut down and enable both USB and the network, then this resolved the problem for me.

I suspect you just need to rebuild the virtual machine file for new versions of teh software.

9. volcs0

volcs0 Junior Member

Turning off Network fixed the problem - but it returned when I turned on network again.

Weird.

I wonder if it might have to do with network settings on my XP?

10. volcs0

volcs0 Junior Member

I uninstalled Parallels. I removed all the support files in /Library/Parallels and /Users/me/Library/Parallels. I deleted the plist file. I deleted my Windows install (in /Users/me/Library/Parallels).

I reinstalled Parallels. I reinstalled Windows XP. I reinstalled Parallels tools.

All is good. For now.

Boots in 15 second. No delay at the welcome screen.

11. e7sharp9

e7sharp9 Member

It's clearly a function of how fast the network can find an IP address. I am using DHCP in Windows and it is better in this release than in any Beta version, but still sometimes takes a while to connect.

Sometimes it is really fast, other times it is somewhat slow. If I disable the network in the VM it is always fast. I suspect if you manually set the IP and DNS values in XP it will always be fast.

12. volcs0

volcs0 Junior Member

I agree.

I'm at home now - just my own wireless network. This thing reboots in 15 seconds now...from Desktop to Desktop.

13. MarkHolbrook

MarkHolbrook Pro

I believe it is network as I've seen the same thing when starting Parallels at my clients office. DHCP takes forever it seems.

But when I start it here at home, BAM no delay whatsoever.

M