CD Drive Eject

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by weisen, Apr 28, 2006.

1. weisen

weisen Bit poster

Hi there,

I'm installing Fedora Core in a VM and find that when I need to change a disk (on my MacBook Pro), I have to pause the virtual machine, disconnect the drive, eject the disk, connect the drive, and insert the new disk in order to get things to work.

Bottom line: if I don't disconnect the drive, then I can't eject the disk.

Oddly enough, after doing this for disk 1, the Fedora installer automatically ejected the disk for the transition to disk 3.

In any case, it would be nice to have this as an option on the devices menu "connect, disconnect, eject"...

2. Djoh

Djoh Member

I concur: I'm running Mac OS X, and this program could Really use an "Eject" option in the CD icon/menu (the gui one used to quickly mount images/the CD/DVD drive).

This would require fixing one bug on Mac OS: When I hit "disconnect" in that menu for the CD/DVD, and then try to eject the CD that just popped back up on the Mac OS Desktop, the Mac thinks it's "Still in Use and cannot be ejected".
    I tend to have to re-connect and disconnect, maybe more than once, to finally get the thing out of there. Time-consuming when you're installing programs that come with 6 CDs!

3. Djoh

Djoh Member

Is this idea being considered by Parallels at all? I used to use it all the time in Virtual PC, and I'm missing it sorely in this program. Even though RC2 rules, installing from multiple CDs is really tough!

4. Ynot

Ynot Pro

Problem with CD ejection is already fixed in RC2 version of Parallels Desktop. Check it.

5. Djoh

Djoh Member

That is great, RC2 has really ironed out a huge pile of bugs for me!

I was actually talking about the "Eject" command being available in the CD icon or "Devices" menu from within PD, but yes, I should also note that you did fix the unreleasing-the-disc problem, and it's very cool. Thanks!

6. Djoh

Djoh Member

Oh, I see, right-clicking the CD in Windows and choosing Eject actually ejects the CD from the computer!

That's so cool!