Beta2: 'Use CD/DVD-ROM' doesn't work

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by wesley, Apr 8, 2006.

1. wesley

wesley Pro

Back when I was using Beta1, selecting 'Use CD/DVD-ROM', then manually entering /dev/rdisk1s2 would result in no error at the start of the boot, but Windows 2000 SP4 would suddenly stop and its console window disappear at near the end of the boot process, and Parallels would tell me I need to specify 'mem=4096M' in the boot loader.

Now with Beta2, the text box is replaced by 'Default CD/DVD-ROM' menu. When I select that and connect it, Parallels gives me an error saying that the device is not found.

By the way, I'm running this on Core Duo Mac mini. Apparently, MacBook Pro has the drive mapped to /dev/rdisk2s0 or something, and I hope Parallels developers didn't simply hardwire a certain address to the 'Default CD/DVD-ROM' menu because it will only work in certain configurations.

So how can I fix this issue?

2. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

I can tell you they didn't hardwire an address, because in beta 2 the cd-rom works for me (mac mini core duo). However, it only has cd-rom and not dvd support. That's what fooled me as I was putting in my MSDN subscription DVD's to install VS.NET 2005 and it wasn't being recognized. I put in a QB Pro 2005 cd and it immediately launched the setup in XP.

So it does work... at least under some conditions.

3. rohela

rohela Junior Member

on Macbook it does not recognize the DVD drive - horrible frustration as i watch my 30 trail expire while not being able to test the program

4. TOSmoke

TOSmoke Bit poster

Quite Frusturated

Thanks Rohela,
    If I may ask, where did you get this information....if it was in the documentation, don't bother responding...that's what I didn't read. But that would have been good information to read somewhere at the top of the list of incompatibilities. Aw well, I'll wait for Beta3, or the full release...if it's supports MBPs.

5. rohela

rohela Junior Member

not in documentation. my experience. I wonder if the problem could arise from the firmware upgrade needed for bootcamp?

6. wjlevin

wjlevin Bit poster

Don't have firmware yet it doesn't work

Hi: I noted a suggestion that the problem of not recognizing the CD/DVD might be the presence of Apple's latest firmware update for Boot Camp. I've not yet installed the firmware update yet I too am not able to see the CD/DVD.

7. jasonbuzz

jasonbuzz Bit poster

I have installed boot camp and the firmware upgrade. My cd drive did NOT work under beta1, but does work under beta2. I also show the default CD/DVD-ROM drive so I can confirm that this isn't a firmware issue (at least on the imac).

8. grantyb

grantyb Bit poster

I was using Beta 1 and reading from the DVD drive okay on my Core Duo Mini. I installed the Firmware 1.0 update, and checked the status with the vtx-check tool mentioned elsewhere on this forum. Parallels claims that "Virtualization mode" is "Intel VT-X", which I'm led to believe is good.

I couldn't ping the Mac's IP address or mount the Mac's home directory on XP though, so I installed Beta 2. Now I can mount \\192.168.1.40\grantyb as Z:\, but XP can no longer read my DVD drive.

I put a normal audio CD in and tried to see if Parallels could read it on IDE 0:1 or 1:0. Neither worked - they both give "Windows cannot read from this disk. The disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows."

Interestingly, I now can't eject the CD from the Mac. I pressed the eject key, and it unmounted the disk but didn't physically eject it.

Hope this helps the clever hackers at Parallel figure something out.

Please wait... rebooting...

9. Scott Willsey

Scott Willsey Hunter

There's a few ways to get a cd out of a mac when it's not mounted on the filesystem... firing up a terminal and typing 'drutil tray eject' should do the job.

You can also reboot and go into the firmware by pressing command + option + o + f (for open firmware) as the mac boots and type 'eject cd'.

Bear in mind the open firmware trick might not work if you are using something like a kvm or a ps/2 to usb adapter with logic in it as it delays the point in time where the mac recognizes the keyboard and mouse. I found this out the hard way one day. :D

10. n4khq

n4khq Member

Same problem on MBP

I get the device not found error but if I insert a CD, it mounts sometime and other times seems to freeze. If it mounts and I try to install a program, the install starts fine but it grinds to a halt the little paper stops moving to the folder and the CD stops spinning. if I leave i alone for about 30 minutes, it may start moving the papers again but very slowly but the CD is not spinning. Finally I get an error. I have never been able to complete an install from the CD. Downloads and ISO work great. Parallels has a very smart group of employees, 25,000 + plus beta testers working for free and I paid yesterday. I also plan to purchase many copies for work. Too bad fir us, we can't buy Parallels stock.

11. n4khq

n4khq Member

Disregard the part about CD stalling out, when I went to disk utilities, there were two volumes on the CD and Disk Utilities would not make a image either. I still have to quit Parallels Workstation to physically eject the cd.