Linux Modeline for full-screen MBP goodness

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mcg, Apr 27, 2006.

1. mcg

mcg Hunter

Hey folks,

Here's what I did to get 1440x900 full-screen resolution working with a Linux guest OS (CentOS 5, to be exact). I manually edited the xorg.conf file, and added the following Modeline to the Monitor section:

Modeline "1440x900" 108.84 1440 1472 1880 1912 900 918 927 946

Then in each "Display" subsection of the "Screen" subsection, I added "1440x900" (including the quotes) to the list of resolutions on the "Modes" line. I put it first.

Things worked like a charm after that!

I have attached the entire xorg.conf file to this post for you. Just use it to replace /etc/X11/xorg.conf (though I would back up your old one just to be safe).

Attached Files:

2. jakubpawlowicz

jakubpawlowicz Bit poster

Thanks mcg!
    xorg.conf you've posted works perfectly for me (on Fedora Core 4).

Regards,
    Jakub

3. brettw

brettw Member

I''m still on B4 but this modeline works to get fullscreen on Solaris as well .....

4. nhand42

nhand42 Member

Autodetection didn't work?

No modeline was necessary for Xorg 7.0 on Debian; specifically package xserver-xorg_7.0.14. The 1440x900 mode and matching modeline was autodetected by the VESA driver. I'm not disputing that you needed a modeline, and your modeline is obviously helpful to others based on the replies in this thread, it's just that I'm curious that the autodetection didn't work for you.

5. mcg

mcg Hunter

Believe me, I'm curious too. Which monitor type did you select? I wonder if that makes a difference. I did the 1440x900 LCD panel.

6. nhand42

nhand42 Member

I chose the VESA driver, ensured that the ddc and int10 modules were loaded, clicked 1440x900 in the resolution list, and then chose Simple -> 17" for the monitor selection. Worked first go.

7. mcg

mcg Hunter

OK, you're above my pay grade now. I don't know how to insure that the ddc and int10 modules are loaded.

8. iandrea

iandrea Bit poster

Hi there, which modeline should I use for my MacBook 1280x800 sreen res?

Thanks,

Andrea

9. iandrea

iandrea Bit poster

Ok, found by myself.

Under fedora core 4.
    I just used the visual tools: System Settings -> Display / Hardware, Monitor Type: LCD Panel 1280x800

then the screen resolution can be changed to 1280x800.

cool!
    Not getting a great performance in full screen though.
    Andrea

10. aroux@videotron.ca

aroux@videotron.ca Bit poster

Did change the lines in xorg.conf but I can't save the modifications... any advice ?

11. buzzdat

buzzdat Member

you need to have appropriate permissions to write to xorg.conf; try "sudo [editor] xorg.conf" and you should be able to save. If you are in the sudoers group. Or log in as root if you still run that way...