Sound bug is worse in RC1 than b6

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by iocomposer, May 25, 2006.

1. iocomposer

iocomposer Member

The problem with the click at the start of all sounds still exists in RC1, only now it's followed by a second click just following. I really hope this gets fixed.

2. iocomposer

iocomposer Member

Out of curiosity, are you guys looking into this or is this too low priority? This one's really important to me so if I can be of assistance to you in any way, please hit me up.
    Cheers.

3. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

The sound issue is being worked on. I can't promise it will be ideal sound in RC2, but it will be better than in RC2 I hope.

4. mrch0mp3rs

mrch0mp3rs Bit poster

Would the current sound bug explain why I have no sound at all coming from an XP guest?

-a-

5. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

I have an XP guest that starts off with sound, but usually loses all sound after a while for no apparent reason (also RC1). I'll be listening to internet radio or iTunes and suddenly it just cuts out. At least I can switch back to OSX and fire up iTunes there and it still works fine in the background.

6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Please check sound issues in RC2 - it is already available.

7. iocomposer

iocomposer Member

Hi Andrew.
    Yes, I do notice a slight improvement from RC1, but it is definitely still there, as you anticipated. It's back to 1 click, as it was in beta5, but it's slightly delayed now, as opposed to being at the very start of the sound as it was previously.

Here's another recorded demo of what I'm hearing:
    http://dramaticmusic.com/audio/ParallelsSoundBug_Demo2.mp3

This recording contains 2 examples of 2 individual sounds, 1st example of how it "should" sound coming out of the mac and the 2nd example showing how it is sounding within VM (notice the click about 1/2 second into the sound.

Thanks for your attention.

8. steve

steve Member

Hello,

I have noticed the click as well and another anomaly that I didn't notice in the beta's or RC1. When I open a VM and work within it, at times I will hear a short bell tone, not the normal windows bell but a more "synthetic" one. I don't recognize the sound as one of the default windows system sounds. For a while I put it off to being some sort of error indication and ignored it but now I think I've noticed something that should be brought to the attention of the Parallels developers. After the odd sound, the sound icon at the bottom of the VM console is constantly active (green dot nearly always on) but there is no sound coming from the speakers. I can still generate sounds (sound tool, etc).

How to reproduce this problem? Well, I think it is somehow connected to the networking or shared folders. I have noticed that when I cannot connect to a shared folder and receive an error, I will hear this tone and see the constant activity with the sound system. This has been 100% consistent when you create a shared folder error. The problem is, I cannot consistently reproduce the shared folder error.

Another way is to run Groove. When I log into Groove Virtual Office (downloadable from www.groove.net) I hear the sound and see the indicator light go into nearly contant on mode.

9. bmoeskau

bmoeskau Junior Member

I'm on RC2 and still getting the same intermittent issue. My XP guest always starts off with full sound support, then after several hours, it simply cuts out until I reboot the guest.

10. gene@careerstep.com

gene@careerstep.com Bit poster

I just installed RC2 and XP w/ SP2 on an Intel-based iMac (2GHz w/ 2GB RAM). The only thing I've done so far is install XP and download the updates. I did try to play pinball, which played fine, however after a couple minutes all sound quit. If I quit pinball and started it up again, it would play sound for a couple minutes then quit again.