Shared Folders Does Not Work for Non-Admins

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by DotNetGuy, Jun 1, 2006.

1. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

Guest: Windows Server 2003 Standard

Logged in as an administrator, I can see and use the Parallels Shared Folders. Logged in as a normal user (not administrator, not power user), I get an "Access Denied" error trying to access Parallels Shared Folders.

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Are you sure that your user has appropriate rights to access those folders ?
    Could you provide us with `ls -al` info on that folder ?

3. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

Well, it's my Home folder on OS X, so yeah, I have access to it. :)

I'm not sure you understand the bug. If I log in as user "xyz" who is in the administrators groups, I can access all the shared folders. If I then remove "xyz" from the administrators group, log out, then log back in as "xyz", he can no longer access the Shared Folders pseudo-machine. I didn't change the username or password, just the fact that user "xyz" is in the Administrators group.

When I double click on the icon on the desktop as an administrator, everything works great. If I double click on the icon on the desktop as a normal user, it tells me I cannot access the remote "computer".

4. catmistake

catmistake Member

Confirmed.

Parallels Shared Folder works great when operating on the virtual machine as an admin in XP Pro SP2, but when logged into the virtual machine as a regular user and an attempt is made to access the Parallels Shared Folder, this message is given:

[​IMG]

I attempted to force allowing access from the administrator side, but accessing the attributes of the Parallels Shared Folder isn't (?) possible. For the heck of it, I changed the access attributes of all the shortcuts... but I knew that would do nothing, and I was correct: it had no effect. Also, changing permissions on the folder from the OS X side has no effect.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  5. bioengineer

bioengineer Bit poster

When I first start up XP shared folders works fine but after a while i can no longer access the shared folders and I get almost the same error message saying the network name cannot be found. If I reboot it will work OK again.

6. DotNetGuy

DotNetGuy Member

I run LUA-style admin on XP (using tools to selectively elevate processes). It's really obvious, then, because any elevated Explorer window has access to the shared folders, but any non-elevated does not.

I'd recommend Vista as an easy repro, but... no ACPI yet... ;)

7. catmistake

catmistake Member

still broken --works!! after reinstalling Parallels Tools

In the current internal version, Parallels-Desktop-1847.7-Mac.dmg, this problem still exists: only administrators can access the shared folder, regular users get the same error I showed above.

--edit

After reinstalling Parallels Tools, the Parallels Shared Folder works from a regular user's login!! Nice work!

http://download.parallels.com/beta/Parallels-Desktop-1847.7-Mac.dmg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2006
  8. Christopher Nielsen

Christopher Nielsen Member

Is this internal version supported? I am wondering whether I should upgrade from RC2, or wait until the next "official" release.

Parallels, anyone...?

9. gapowers

gapowers Bit poster

Also having problems with non-admin acct, build 1848

I'm running build 1848 (the first non-beta release?) on an iMac Core Duo (2GHz, 2GB) with current Tiger updates and current WinXP SP2 updates. I setup a shared folder from my OS X non-admin acct as directed in the Parallels user guide, but I get a permissions problem when I click it from the shortcut that's created on the WinXP desktop.

However, I can access the shared folder by using the IP address, \\192.168.1.6\george\WinXP.
    :(

10. studiousstud

studiousstud Bit poster

uhm

Well I can't access the Parallel Shared Folders at all, and I am the administrator. There are no sub accounts. It says,

"\\.psf is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the adminiistrator of this server to find out if you have acccess permissions.

The specified network profider name is invalid."

Anyone have a suggestion?

11. drval

drval Pro

Is it enabled from within Parallels?

Devices/Shared Folders

and see if it's checked. If so, try unchecking and then rechecking it.

Or

try Add to create a new folder to use for sharing.