Parallels Tool and Build 5582 100% CPU

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by jalexand, Dec 18, 2007.

1. rparker

rparker Bit poster

I guess I can add myself to this list. I too have a macbook pro, 2.4ghz, 2gb ram.

Running Leopard and Vista, both completely updated. Vista is really slow. Wierd thing is, I only recently upgraded to Leopard, prior to this, my tiger install ran Parallels fine. Even the 5584 release runs fine on tiger.

I think this is an issue that parallels has with leopard. Maybe something to do with a specific macbook pro driver.

2. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Is this ever going to be fixed

Hello PARALLELS,

Is this ever going to be fixed. Every Mac we have here has this problem. We can't upgrade past 5160.

Please address this problem and fix your tools package.

3. rparker

rparker Bit poster

I'm pretty sure this is an issue that parallels has with a macbook pro driver, all of us that run into this problem have macbook pro's.

4. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Hello Parallels,

Anyone from your company care to comment on this.

5. mlle

mlle Member

I had memory problems recently, associated with Tools. I solved it in this way:

Open Parallels, but don't start the OS.
    Click Actions / Prepare Parallel Tools Upgrade
    Then go into your Parallels settings and disconnect anything that might need Tools in order to work, shared folders, etc.
    Start your OS
    Install / Upgrade Parallels Tools
    Shut down OS
    Start up and shut down OS once more (remember we are being kind to Windows here)
    Go into your Parallels Settings (OS still closed) and add one feature at a time of those that you have disconnected.

It's a slow process, but no slower than installng just one average programme under Windows.

It worked for me. It might for you.

6. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Memory Problems?

What do you mean by Memory Problems. My issue is that when Tools are loaded onto 5582 they cause the CPU to spike to 100% CPU.

7. spiitz

spiitz Bit poster

Macbook Air CPU spike

I have a similar issue. I have the build 5592, specifically for the MBA. This build fixed the OS X crash, but now the CPU spikes on and off after about 30 minutes. The whole system slows to a crawl, then goes away for about 20 seconds and comes back a few seconds later, over and over. I cannot use parallels at work because of this. Please help me!

8. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

Build 5600

Just in case your wondering build 5600 does not fix this issue.

Jason

9. budjames

budjames Junior Member

I agree with the previous poster. I have the build 5608 installed on my MacBookPro 15" w/3GB RAM and my MacPro 8-core w/12GB RAM. Both Macs are running WinXP Pro SP3 and Mac Leopard OS X 10.5.4.

I experience high CPU usage on both Macs. I have DirectX disabled on both machines. Even with no applications open and just a blank screen, the CPU usage can spike to 100%. Both machines run consistently with CPU usage bouncing between 40-70% with random spikes to 100%. My heavy WinXP application use is on my MacBookPro as I use this to run my business apps: ACT! CRM, Office 2007 (mostly Outlook), IE 6.0. These are usually open all day long. Sometimes the machine crawls and becomes unusable until it "catches its breath."

I hope that the developers figure this out fast as I've been toying with the idea of trying VM Fusion.

Bud
    North Wales, PA

10. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

disable Screen Sharing, VNC server

11. jalexand

jalexand Junior Member

I gave up

I actually gave up. I had a parallels engineer on the phone and they basically told me it was my issue. I bought Fusion a month or so ago and am not looking back. Fusion appears to be a much more stable product.

12. John@Parallels

I am not sure, that engineer could tell you this, without asking additional details, can you please reply me privately engineer's name?

13. budjames

budjames Junior Member

John, what is "VNC" mentioned in your reply and how do I disable it?

Thanks.

Bud James

14. John@Parallels

check in Applications do you have VNC server installed, also check in System Preferences - Sharing do yo have Screen Sharing enabled

15. pheasant

pheasant Bit poster

Same Issue

John (and others)-
    I'm having the same issue as those mentioned above. I recently upgraded to build 5608 and then installed the parallels tools. Now it kills the processor with the Parallels Tools process. Exiting tools drops the processor to normal usage, so it is definitely related to the tools. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling, etc., but no luck. I don't have VNC or Screen Sharing. I'd really appreciate any help you can provide.

Here I thought this would be a quick upgrade...

Joel

16. John@Parallels

Please try to disable Shared Folder and check if there are antivirus on Windows side (or vice verse)

17. pheasant

pheasant Bit poster

thanks

John-
    Thanks for the suggestion. Yesterday after posting, I completely uninstalled Parallels and reinstalled it (instead of just Parallels tools). That seems to have fixed this issue. I'm still running into some quirkiness, but that seems more related to the Windows install rather than Parallels.

Thanks again for your response and attempt at solving the problem.

Joel

18. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

VNC and Screen Sharing

Is this a known issue that is being addressed? I always use VNC and screen sharing and, particularly when running Office 2008 on the Mac, after a few hours will always experience 100% CPU freezes that require a manual shutdown and reboot. Hopefully, others have reported this previously.

dkw.

19. John@Parallels

Yes, it is known issue, we are working to resolve this

20. dkwehe

dkwehe Member

Great response.

If it's on the to-do list, then we should just sit back and await the solution. It is very satisfying to know the issues that are recognized -- i.e., the known anti-features.

Have you thought about posting a list of known problems? It would probably minimize the flow of negative electrons on these boards.

dkw.