Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by coopermj@muohio.edu, Jun 2, 2006.

1. coopermj@muohio.edu

coopermj@muohio.edu Junior Member

While attempting to install Ubuntu 6.06 desktop on RC1 or RC2, the installation seems to hang at 15% - Scanning for filesystems. This is after telling it to go ahead and nuke the whole disk and use default configuration.

Anyone have it working?

Thanks

2. Loopster

Loopster Bit poster

Working

Yes, I got the desktop Ubuntu 6.06 to work first time with no problems.
    I tried to get the server version working, but it hang after the install is complete,
    and it starts to load the Kernel. I would suspect both versions use the same kernel,
    so maybe it's an install issue.
    Try a different install method. i.e "install acpi=off" or something like that..

I also told the install app to create a single partion, and not a LVM partition.
    I am not sure if that was my problem. Give it a try.

Loopster

3. dombi

dombi Bit poster

I have the same exact issue as coopermj.

Loopster, could you please be a little more specific. This is my first ever Linux-type system install and I am a bit lost as well. Where do you select the install method, which disk image did you download, what are the required steps... thank you!

4. mroch

mroch Bit poster

No luck with a normal install or with using "install acpi=off" in Ubuntu Server 6.06 on RC2.

5. mcg

mcg Hunter

Hmm, I upgraded from 5.10 using the upgrade center and it's running fine. So it sounds like an install-specific problem.

6. Muz

Muz Bit poster

I haven't got the server version to work either. It hangs on the reboot at 0%. I'm off to give the desktop version a try.

7. coopermj@muohio.edu

coopermj@muohio.edu Junior Member

Got it installed, at least

I downloaded the alternate installer for desktop which is text mode and was able to complete the install. Now to find out if there are drivers that work with it.

8. sas

sas Junior Member

I've been using breezy badger (or whatever the name, the one before 6.06) for quite a while now and am about to upgrade it. You might want to try using the "Debian OS" guest system profil when you create the virtual machine. I've read on this board that there are subtle differences with those profiles that can make installs works that otherwise fail.

-sas

9. scrytch

scrytch Junior Member

My install stuck at 15% like most other people with a new install of 6.06-desktop.

My desktop install seems to be going ahead using the "ubuntu-6.06-alternate-i386.iso" image which is the text based install...

UPDATE:
    After install I get a "fail" when loading hardware drivers, and then it sits there and eventually comes up with an error. Will update when next I try with the error details.

Regards,
    Shane.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  10. tbritt

tbritt Bit poster

I had a modprobe error after the the loading hardware drivers failure. Setting the VM's RAM to 512 MB allowed the new install to boot fine.

11. bbbobbb

bbbobbb Bit poster

Same here *Lowered* RAM to 512....works

To recap, currently:

1) I had to use the "alternate" ISO to install using the good old text interface.

2) I had the RAM set to 768 and it would die the same way with a modprobe error after the the loading hardware drivers failure. I LOWERED the RAM to 512 from 768....it works.

BB

P.S. Time for the 90 updates! Hell, windows had less than 70. :)

Last edited: Jun 17, 2006
  12. michel

michel Junior Member

Ram 512

Hi,
    I'm very new to Linux and have very little knowledge but can someone explain why setting the VM to use 512 ram instead of more make it not run?
    Thanks
    :eek:

13. Sanook

Sanook Bit poster

Yes, same problem here. Stopped at 15%. Changing the RAM to 512k fixed it. Strange, that...works ok now.

14. jwdawso

jwdawso Bit poster

No problem...

I downloaded the .iso file, booted from the .iso, did the standard install, and it all worked great! Then once booted into the install, the automatic update downloaded and installed everything (though it did have some problems on the print drivers).

I have a MBP with 2GB ram.

15. canarcane

canarcane Bit poster

I just completed installing ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake) on my MacBook, this is my first post using Firefox within ubuntu. It was a piece of cake. I am SO impressed by the ease of installation / documentation / help files available on these forums.

I have a 2 GHz / 2GB Macbook, and am running ubuntu using a Parallels virtual window. I'm connected through an Airport wireless network connection.

I downloaded the "ubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso" disk image from a link on the ubunto help site "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation". Its a large download (I started last night, and it was complete this morning).

I burnt the iso file to a CD using the Apple Disk Utility (Applications>Utilities>Disk Utility). I then created a new VM in Parallels (Debian Linux), and installed ubuntu from the CD, just following the prompts. As the documentation suggests, there is time to go for a drink (and a bit of breakfast) while ubuntu is installing.

After installation, ubuntu informed me there were 92 software updates waiting, which I installed and VOILA - up and running. Total time to install/upgrade - about 2 hrs.

I havent tested all the device connections yet (printer / shared files / etc) but will do a bit of that this afternoon.

I am really impressed with the MacBook and Parallels. I'm currently running a Windoze XP window as well as the ubunto window. Unlike a lot of the posts here, everything has installed flawlesly (so far).
    canarcane is online now Edit/Delete Message Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Multi-Quote with this Post

16. sloosley

sloosley Member

canarcane, thanks for the post. I too downloaded the iso and installed. worked as advertised!

for some reason, i seem to have two mice on my Ubuntu desktop?

very cool though!!!

17. BrentB

BrentB Member

Ubuntu 6.06 i386 working here via Parallels on a 2GHz Macbook, 2GB ram (512MB allocated to Ubuntu). LiveDVD booted up fine, used the installer to install from there. Only hacking that needed to be done was a few minor edits to xorg.conf to get 1280x800 working.

Now we just need the Parallels Tools for Linux to smooth out the mouse a bit.

18. sloosley

sloosley Member

BrentB, would you mind posting a step by step procedure for those of us who are less Linux inclined on how to edit the xorg.conf file.

Thanks!!

19. BrentB

BrentB Member

Easy enough. Open up xorg.conf in a text editor (I like emacs, others like vi/vim or nano). Find the section that lists resolutions. It'll have a couple of lines similar to:

Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

(I had 2, each in a different depth) Just edit those and add your own resolution like so:

Modes "1280x800" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Save and exit. Now restart X (a full reboot shouldn't be necessary, but if you're having trouble getting it to take, it can't hurt). You *should* come up in 1280x800.

If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll post my full xorg.conf.

20. sloosley

sloosley Member

Cool. I tried editing the xorg.conf file but couldn't get it to take. I had success by running a little program inside Ubuntu (posted in the Ubuntu FAQ's and mentioned in another post here). I ran it and selected only my desired resolution; worked!

BrentB, question: the time won't stick for me inside Ubuntu. I've tried syching to servers, resetting, etc. Anyone else run into this issue?

Thanks!!