Cannot update to Windows XP Service Pack 3

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by satyor, Sep 4, 2008.

1. satyor

satyor Member

Hi,

Windows Update is trying to install Service Pack 3. In the installation process, I get the following error message:

"the install program cannot copy the 'atapi.sys file' from c\windows\system32\drivers"

In the same installation window, another message suggests I use another location: if I understand well, I am supposed to create a folder called "Windows XP System Files" and "insert" it...

However much I tried, I really do NOT understand what that means and have no idea on how to perform such a thing.

If somebody has an idea, her/his advice would be much appreciated.

PS: how do you strike the antislash "\" in Windows XP from a MacBook Pro AZERTY keyboard?

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

3. satyor

satyor Member

Thanks John for the very detailed suggestion

The process seems very time-consuming though

Since I use Windows mainly for electronic dictionaries which are not available for Mac, I decided not to update anymore.

I also have to go on the web with Firefox for windows, that's true. Hope Windows will eventually leave me alone. If not, I'll follow your advice.

Thanks again!

4. AshW

AshW Bit poster

John, I am having a similar issue where the XP Service Pack 3 fails during installation. I've read the linked Slipstream article, download XP SP 3 from Microsoft. My virtual machine which is running Parrallels Desktop 6 has Windows XP SP 2 with all updates.

Do I need to slipstream Windows XP SP 2 before Slipstreaming XP SP 3?

I am a rookie in Windows, is this command line approach as straight forward as it appears?

Thanks,

Ash