Ubuntu Hardy Heron - can't install Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by cheesy, Mar 22, 2008.

1. radtrinidad

radtrinidad Bit poster

And I agree, it's not like this is free open source. This is a product I paid money for so it would be nice if known issues get resolved in a timely manner.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

I will answer in 2-3 days, please remind if I miss

3. stf

stf Bit poster

A statement about the availability of localized builds would be really appreciated. Will it take again an additional month after the next english build is out?

Three months ago I bought Parallels Desktop for Mac 3.0 to run Ubuntu 8.04. Sadly, its still unusable for me.

4. fbronner

fbronner Pro

I still run ubuntu 8.04 with it. The only thing really bothering me is the fact I need to press a couple of keys to get back my mouse in os x.

But most of the time what I need to do is to run some bash program, and this I do by opening a session in terminal on the mac os x and directly connecting to ubuntu with ssh.

5. stf

stf Bit poster

*Reminder*

6. John@Parallels

I didn't forget we haven't had meeting yet, hope this week..

7. milkshake

milkshake Bit poster

another *bump*

8. John@Parallels

We have some problems,it is hard to say as I promissed, but still some work is to be done

9. jeremyy_

jeremyy_ Bit poster

I'm gone

I'm done with Parallels. Been using it since v2. The litany of issues and time to resolve them is beyond my threshold for pain. I certainly am not going to pay for v4 in order to get Ubuntu to work properly. In fact, the thought of having to buy yet another version to get basic stuff working is offensive.

See ya,

Jeremy

10. John@Parallels

Tools for Ubuntu will be available in version 3

11. robw003

robw003 Bit poster

Really??? When

Okay, available in v3, but W H E N. This has been an issue since 8.04 was released - This thread alone goes back for MONTHS!!! At the current lathargic rate, v8.10 will be out and there will be all kinds of NEW issues.

12. John@Parallels

Hi, there
    Build with Parallels Tools is passed to QA team

13. jmacvean

jmacvean Bit poster

Are we getting any closer?

14. fromans

fromans Member

15. John@Parallels

16. jeremyd123

jeremyd123 Bit poster

Hi John,
    Thanks for the update I am excited. However, when I attempt to install parallels tools with this new version of Parallels I get an MD5 sum error. Do you know why this is happening? I tried uninstalling my previous version of the tools, which wasn't working. This is Ubuntu Hardy.

parabuntu:/media/cdrom$ sudo ./parallels-tools.run
    Verifying archive integrity...Error in MD5 checksums: 80c2487aefe2f98613575c6b1a3ed83b is different from 7fb4b42dee3bfaaee7f6d45e20635980

17. shavital

shavital Member

You wrote: "parabuntu:/media/cdrom$ sudo ./parallels-tools.run". For all I remember, the path to the "virtual CD" is
    /media/cdrom0 (cdromzero). I believe that you might try again, after your Terminal prompt:

....parabuntu cd /media/cdrom0 [return], then, when in that directory:
    ...parabuntu:media/cdrom0 sudo parallels-tools.run

That's how I remember what I did when installing Parallels Tools, except for the user's name of course.

Just a thought,
    Charly

18. jeremyd123

jeremyd123 Bit poster

Thank you shavital! Using /media/cdrom0 works.

19. rm53

rm53 Member

NICE!!! Finally PTools work (for openSUSE at least, have to try Ubuntu...).
    I am just asking myself, why did it take so long? But then, let's hope Tools will be ready when the next round of Linux Distros comes out (which is very soon).

20. ronaldsloot

ronaldsloot Bit poster

Did anyone get 5624 to work with Debian (4.0) ? I am still getting a floating point exception.

-- Ronald