Cannot install Parallels Tools on Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy)

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by The Belgain, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fromans

fromans Member

Why would we try a product that costs 10x the amount we already paid on a product that should work as advertised anyway? For the record, I went all the way through beta 4 of Parallels Server and while I wasn't convinced that it was that great, I was definitely convinced that it isn't worth the cost.

2. John@Parallels

John@Parallels Forum Maven

Format is the same as PD4 , you will see that Parallels Tools are working for Ubuntu, and currently we are working hard to bring PT for PD3

3. fromans

fromans Member

Nice to see your fast response, John. Do you have any good news for us on those new builds this morning?

4. emc2008

emc2008 Bit poster

Vista is not a good example since probably less than 5% of users on the linux discussion looked forward to or had any expectations from Vista at all. The software company that my company throws most of our money at is Adobe/Macromedia. The crap they sell is expensive and it always works.

5. John@Parallels

6. fromans

fromans Member

Thanks John. I got the email yesterday and started playing with PD4 last night. It does install the Parallel Tools in Ubuntu 8.0.4.1 and Fedora 9, although the xorg.conf file in Fedora still needs a little tweaking. That being said I hate to be negative after finally seeing some positive things in this new build but I do have a question.

Are we going to have to pay to upgrade to PD4?

That would be unfair since the product basically fixes problems that should have already been fixed AND were promised in PD3. Notice that VMware Fusion 2.0 is going to be a free upgrade for all version 1.x users because of its problems (more like small hassles really). Parallels would do well to offer the same appreciation to what customers it has left.

7. shavital

shavital Member

PD4 beta.

Thanks for your input, I have downloaded PD4 beta, and am willing to test it, both on Kubuntu 8.04.1 and WindowsXP, but first, can you answer these questions:

1. Has PD4 beta been tested on Windows XP Pro SP3?
    2. Is PD4 beta's validity limited in time? A beta release should not be, but who knows?
    3. Will there be an upgrade fee if/when PD4 comes out of beta?

Thanks in advance for your prompt and complete answer (well, as much as possible).
    Charly (I have Virtual Box ready on the side, but I'll wait for a decent and totally performing PD3, and for your answers to the above questions).

8. shavital

shavital Member

PD4 beta

John, I forgot to add that I have perused PD4 release notes, including the information about VM WindowsXP, but I'd still appreciate your answers to my above questions.

Thanks again in advance,
    Charly

9. mfox

mfox Junior Member

Before I download the P4 beta I would like to know if it provides drag and drop support between Mac and Linux. This is one very desirable feature that neither VMware Fusion or VirtualBox have provided. The latest VirtualBox (version 2.0) comes closest in that you can now copy text from a Mac program and paste it in a Linux virtual machine. But this is still a far cry from the file drag and drop convenience provided by Parallels between the Mac and a virtual windows machine.

10. John@Parallels

11. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

John,

Thanks for posting this.

What is the situation for Non-English builts?

I assume that we will have to wait and cannot use the posted update . If yes, until when?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2008
  12. Sven.Luetkemeier

Sven.Luetkemeier Junior Member

Is this a pre-release build or is it safe to use in a production environment?

13. mfox

mfox Junior Member

I can now confirm that Parallels Tools works on Ubuntu 8.04.1 with Parallels build 5624. It also worked on a previous Parallels installation of openSUSE 10.2, but I had to rebuild the tools to get it to work properly. The third distro I tried was the special build of Kubuntu 8.04.1 with KDE 4.1.1. I believe this is an experimental build and I had trouble with it. After installing the tools and rebuilding, the window was squished and it kept asking me for my name and password even after I supplied it. Drag and drop from Mac to Linux still isn't enabled, but I didn't expect it to be. If it is enabled for Linux in version 4, that would be an important new feature, and Parallels would be the only Mac virtualization software to have it. (Hint, hint)

14. shavital

shavital Member

mfox, thanks for your input. I'll take into account when I install PD3 build 5624.

15. John@Parallels

For now English only, probably it can take some time to make non-English version

16. Bernhard.parallels

Bernhard.parallels Member

John -

Andrew published the following statement in another thread:
    Guys,

We are going to release localized builds on June 18. I am greatly apologize on delay with localized 5600, but after English update we found number of bugs related to Mac OS X 10.5.3 update and didn't want to release buggy localized builds.

Now we fixed all compatibility issues with 10.5.3 in build 5608 and localized updates will be released very soon. In the future we are going to release english build and localized updates simultaneously.

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=20944&page=2

This post was published three months ago - and it is the "simultaneously" I want to hint at especially.

17. John@Parallels

I will publish information as soon as I get any news

18. shavital

shavital Member

After installing PD3 build 5624:
    - Windows XP Pro SP3 - Fine.. Subjectively, it seems to be running a mite faster, and much smoother.
    - Kubuntu 8.04.1 (Hardy Heron). Parallels Tools installed painlessly and straightforward. After restarting the VM machine, its screen showed "constricted" from the sides. Restarted in recovery mode, screen went back as it was under the previous PD3 build, not really full screen, but almost.
    There is no Coherence (I had hoped this would be taken care of by the much expected "build for Ubuntu 8.04".
    Thanks all the same to Parallels.
    Now, if someone there at Parallels can answer: when can we expect PD4 to be released? Cost?
    Charly
    This is from Kubuntu 8.04.1

19. trolley

trolley Member

I was patient when Hardy came out, but this is just too much. Next month the next version of Ubuntu, 8.10, is going to be released, and there still isn't an official PD that supports 8.04. I agree with the other posters that PD4 should be a free upgrade to PD3 users, and if it's not I'll gladly take my business to VMWare. I don't want to, because I like supporting Parallels since they are fighting against well-established competition, but I have to think of myself first and it's frustrating. I don't mind paying for upgrades, but not to get bug fixes that should have been fixed in the version I bought.

20. Flippers

Flippers Bit poster

Official Bild?

Hello, John.
    Thank you for Build 5624.

Isn't Build 5624 official Bild?
    Or is there a release plan of the further build?

Thanks in advance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.